Minutes - PUBS Board of Directors Meeting - October 4, 2018

Minutes - PUBS Board of Directors Meeting – September 6, 2018

Kathrins Biergarten, Rocklin, 6:30pm

Attendees: Matt Carroll, Dave Long, Kevin and Andrew Sach, Mark Schindler, Phil Menzies

September minutes - not available for review.

II. Activities - MOKSA Homebrewer’s Appreciation Night - Oct 16 5-8 PM. Thanks, Dave for taking the lead.

  • Monk’s Cellar Clone Competition. Will be announced at November’s meeting, hopefully, a discussion from Peter or Andy on the beer style and one or both will be present January, 2019 mtg to judge entries.

  • Upcoming general membership meetings - October at Kathrin’s; November through February at Monk’s Cellar.

  • October general meeting - Nominations for board positions for 2019 will be taken. We should consider sending out an email to all members prior to the meeting listing all board positions and maybe a link to each of their duties. This will give them a little time to think about it prior to the meeting. The results will be announced at the November meeting.

  • PUBS Christmas Party is scheduled for Thursday, Dec 6 at Monk’s Cellar. We will have brewer’s best competition on the wall and the gift exchange which should be kept under $20. The Brewer of the Year will be announced at this meeting.

III. Treasury - We are budgeted for the Christmas party.

  • -Mark continues to look for alternative banking that would include free checking. Changing accounting program from Quickbooks to WAVE(?). Consider discussing with Dagan whether there are cheaper alternatives for our website costs.

  • -Start soon to make the push for members to renew their memberships. Will be counting on this income to fund expenses and activities in the new year.

IV. Membership - See renewals above.

  • -2 big winners at the GABF are from Rocklin and Roseville. Neither appear to be associated with a home brew club. Would be a score if someone could contact them (find their email?) and invite them to the club.

  • Reach out to commercial breweries at upcoming fests to offer our services for pouring, help set up etc. This would be club publicity and not to make money. Thanks to Phil for putting together a comprehensive list of all upcoming fests for the next year.

V. Fundraising - Has been weak this year. Discussed pouring commercial

  • beer at a fest for profit. This could also include selling some their merchandise such as T shirts, glasses, etc., and taking a share of the profits. Patrick may have more info about how to set up if possible.

  • We can raffle off a pot of money at the Roseville mtgs but not in Rocklin.

VI. Events

  • -AHA rally at Heretic - Happened (Sat Oct 6). Hope someone got some free wort.

  • Sacramento Brew Street is tomorrow (Oct 13) in Midtown from 2:00 PM - 8:00 PM.

  • Need to get a feel for how many are interested in attending PUBS Brew Camp in 2019 and when campground reservations need to be made.

  • We need to discuss NCHF reservations for 2019 with Jeff 2 vs 3 sites.

VII. Action items

  • Can someone with the membership roster send an email out before next meeting reminding all to think about being a board member and nominations will happen at the Oct mtg?

  • Someone in the know discuss with Dagan about the website.

  • -ttempt to contact the GABF local winners.

  • For future - a contact(s) for brew fest pouring or selling commercial beer.

  • Discuss with Jeff about NCHF 2019.

Minutes - PUBS Board of Directors Meeting - September 6, 2018

Minutes - PUBS Board of Directors Meeting – September 6, 2018

Kathrins Biergarten, Rocklin, 6:30pm

Directors: Dave Jeff Kevin

Other Attendees: Andrew, Phil

Aug Minutes reviewed and approved

PR/Fundraising:

  • No change (Bud not present)

  • Someone needs to find events for us to participate where volunteers are paid (proceeds donated to PUBS)

Other activity details:

  • Aug Saison style competition winner:

  • 1 Mark Clark, 2 Stephen, 3 Mark Clark

September Competition Presentation:

  • Octoberfest beers – Focus on style, (rather than history)?

  • Recommend that at least one commercial sample come from Kathrin’s (support our site sponsor)

Treasury:

  • Mark tried out “Wave” bookkeeping software. Looks like it may meet our needs at no/low cost

  • All Quicken account info transferred , reconciled, and up to date in “Wave”

Membership:

  • Nothing new

NCHF:

  • Preliminary schedule:

    • Friday Hoppy hour 4-6 (start setup around 3pm)

    • Sat Morn – sleep in, set up around 11:00

Competition Style Calendar:

  • September: Amber Lager / Oktoberfest / Marzen

  • October – Brewers’ Best/worst

Other:

  • Suggestion for a decoction brew day

Minutes - PUBS Board of Directors Meeting - August 2, 2018

Minutes - PUBS Board of Directors Meeting – August 2, 2018

Kathrins Biergarten, Rocklin, 6:30pm

Directors: Damian Dave Jeff Mark Kevin Bud

Other Attendees: Stephen, Andrew, Phil

July Minutes reviewed and approved

PR/Fundraising:

  • No change

Other activity details:

  • Need date for Monk’s Cellar clone brew. Dave will take point on that task.

August Competition Presentation:

  • Saison. Mike will give presentation on Saison

  • Commercial samples suggested: DuPont, Jackrabbit

Other August Presentation:

  • Jeff will give presentation on Brew Camp experience

Treasury:

  • Dave balanced the books on Slick Pie as a trial. Another free Quickbooks alternative (NOT Slick Pie) is

  • being investigated. Dave will try transferring some data.

  • About $800 in bank

  • Insurance is due.

Membership:

  • Roster is now on Google Drive. Recent new members have been added.

NCHF:

  • September 14 th -15 th . Remind members that tickets are still available.

  • Design brainstorming session at Damian’s August 6 th 5:30-7:30

  • Need to ask Tim to request list from NCHF of PUBS ticket holders

  • Jeff taking lead on booth assembly and food (both camp and booth food). Some food left over from Brew Camp.

Competition Style Calendar:

  • August Saison

  • September: Amber Lager / Oktoberfest / Marzen

  • Suggestion to move all styles down one month so we can fit the Bier Blanche clone in January, 2019.

Other:

  • Need to know winners in Scotch Ale competition, and brewers’ best.

Minutes - PUBS Board of Directors Meeting - July 5, 2018

Minutes - PUBS Board of Directors Meeting – July 5, 2018

Kathrins Biergarten, Rocklin, 6:30pm

Damian Dave Jeff Mark Kevin Andrew Bud

June Minutes reviewed and approved with the following changes:

Dave was present at June meeting. Damian was not.

PR/Fundraising:

  • No change

Other activity details:

  • Bottle share at Damian’s went well (light attendance).

July Competition Presentation:

  • IPA. Maybe Big Mike? Dave?

Campout July 27-29:

Still have not collected any money, or signed anyone up. It is still definitely on.

Brew on Saturday, the 28 th will be Amarillo Rye Pale Ale. Damian, Matt say they will go.

Treasury:

  • Mark looked into Quickbooks alternative (Slick Pie). Mark opened a test account. Dave will try transferring

  • some data. A standalone version is available (instead of subscription).

  • About $1,000 in bank

  • Insurance is coming due.

  • Looking for free checking (Golden One?)

Membership:

  • No Change

NCHF:

  • September 14 th -15 th . Remind members that first round of tickets go on sale July 16 th 10am.

  • Suggested booth theme: Down and Out in Las Vegas (possible legal issue with that name – may have to change to “Busted In Las Vegas”)

Other:

  • PUBS Bier Blanche clone brew is with MONK’s (not Loomis Basin as previously noted). NEED A DATE.

  • Suggestion to push barrel aged sours as far out into future as possible.

  • Other 2019 competition calendar suggestions:

    • Jan – Weisenbock

    • Feb – Extract Brew (min 70% extract?)

    • July – Rye IPA

    • Aug – Wit beer

Competition Style Calendar:

  • July: IPA’s

  • August Saison

Minutes - PUBS Board of Directors Meeting - June 7, 2018

Minutes - PUBS Board of Directors Meeting – June 7, 2018

Kathrins Biergarten, Rocklin, 6:30pm

Damian Jeff Mark Kevin Andrew Bud

May Minutes reviewed and approved

Bud creating our own off flavor kit:

  • We were unable to have it ready by meeting. Will try again later

Brochures:

  • Still need quote from VistaPrint (Jeff).

Other activity details:

  • Solid Ground collaboration brew:

    • Saturday, June 30 th

    • See Mike Ogden for details

June Competition Presentation:

  • Bud was going to conduct off flavor presentation, but that is now set for a future meeting

Campout July 27-29:

  • Still have not collected any money, or signed anyone up. It is still definitely on.

  • Brew on Saturday, the 28 th will be Amarillo Pale Ale

Treasury:

  • Mark will investigate Quickbooks alternative

  • About $1,200 in bank

Membership:

  • Membership is now online

NCHF:

  • September 14 th -15 th . First round of tickets go on sale July 16.

  • We have agreed to host Hoppy Hour (Friday, the 14 th )

Water Test Kit:

  • Board decided to delay purchase ($250)

Other:

  • Suggestion for PUBS sponsored brew day for next year’s State Fair Competition

  • Suggestion for calendar of 2019 local brewing events at which PUBS can have a presence

  • Suggestion to add placeholder for BJCP style # to style competition entry card. Put instructions on back

Competition Style Calendar:

  • June: Brewer’s Best/Worst

  • July: IPA’s

Minutes - PUBS Board of Directors Meeting - May 3, 2018

Minutes - PUBS Board of Directors Meeting – May 3, 2018

Moksa, Rocklin, 6:30pm

Dave Damian Matt Jeff Mark Kevin Andrew

April Minutes reviewed and approved

Auburn Foothills Brewfest Details:

  • Get to Brewfest by 10am

  • Tickets at Will Call

  • Brewers: Bud, Mat Jeff, Phil (serving Dave’s maibock).

  • Bring your own buckets for icing kegs

  • All four PUBS brewers at one table (check with Patrick if OK) - 2 jockey boxes each having 2 taps

  • Jeff will provide CO2 w/5-way distribution. Bud will bring backup tank.

  • Jeff will bring shade, banner, flag, tablecloths, membership forms (Kevin will send latest version)

Brochures:

  • Jeff will print a few (~20)

  • Check with Vista Print re: larger order (250?) and get back to board.

  • Brochure needs a cosmetic makeover (more like original brochure?) Information is OK

  • Put spaces between sponsor names on back

Other activity details:

  • Sac Mac (for Beer Week):

    • Thursday, May 10 th

    • About $2,400 received on behalf of Craft Brewers Asso (will keep separate from PUBS funds).

    • PUBS will have Booth - collaboration with Amoretti flavorings

    • PUBS booth staff - Don, Dave, Dagan, Matt, Jeff, others

    • Jeff will bring brown ale, Monk’s Cellar will provide maibock, Don will bring ?

  • Rocklin Brewfest:

    • June 2 nd

    • No direct participation. Maybe hand out brochures? Who?

  • Moksa bottle giveaway:

    • Details?

May Competition Presentation:

  • Bock Beers

Dave or Bud to provide short talk

  • Dave needs someone to bring old projector/computer (Damian will do, with Kevin as backup)

Next Clone Competition:

  • Monk’s Cellar Bier Blanch (They are agreeable).

Campout July 27-29:

  • Suggested cost $25/person, includes camping, Sat Breakfast and Dinner. All other food is up to participants.

  • Will brew small (10 Gal) batch of wort Sat

  • Need to begin collecting money

  • Need to validate that group camp campers can use Sugar Pine picnic area.

Water Test Kit:

  • Need a new one. Damian will pursue. ~$250.

  • Suggested we have a demo on how to use Bruin Water or other site to publish water profile

Other:

  • Suggestion to standardize competition entry (simple card entry form w/holepunch to tie onto entry)

  • *Create sample - Name/date/style/space for entry number

Competition Style Calendar:

  • May: Bock Beers

  • June: Brewer’s Best/Worst

Minutes - PUBS Board of Directors Meeting - April 5, 2018

Minutes - PUBS Board of Directors Meeting – Apr 5, 2018

The Red Bus, Folsom, 6:30pm

March Minutes reviewed and approved

Dave Damian Matt Jeff Mark Kevin Andrew Bud

Back at Kathrin’s BierGarten. We will be outside. Cool River is a backup in case of rain.

April Presentation: Scotch and Scottish ales

Big Mike will say a few words about Scotch vs Scottish ales.

Suggestions for commercial samples: Alesmith wee heavy

Treasurer:

  • Taxes are filed

  • Raffle data has been submitted

  • Reminder that there is no Bingo allowed in Rocklin (Kathrin’s)

Activities:

  • April 7 th - Collaboration with Monk’s Cellar (after BOD meeting, Bud said he could coordinate with Andy).

  • April 13-15 AHA competition at Sudwerks in Davis (looking for volunteers & judges) Dave will send contact.

  • May 5 th – Foothills Brew Fest (at least 4 PUBS entries) contact is Patrick O’Hara (Auburn Brew Supply)

  • May 10 th – Sacramento Beer Week (Club members get in free

  • May 12 th - Sacramento Brew-Off (21 st Amendment). Capitol Hop Shop in downtown Sac. No clones, 5 gal

  • brew

  • May 15 th – Beer pairing at Monk’s Cellar (not a PUBS sponsored event)

  • May 19 th - Brew Day at Jeff’s house

  • May 20 th – Track 7 IPA Competition. Looking for judges.

  • June 9 th CA State Fair commercial competition – looking for volunteers.

  • June 23 rd - bottle share at Damian’s

  • Rocklin Brewfest in June – Bud is investigating how we might participate (pour?)

  • Maybe have next BOD at Red Bus in Folsom

Other Activity Ideas:

  • Pursue off-flavor class (need kit(s))

  • Hold class at Brewmeister

Fundraising:

  • Nothing new

Membership:

  • OK. Nothing new

Ideas for club activities:

  • Matt Hall’s steam system

  • Clone of local Brewery beers – need to pursue a sponsoring brewery.

  • -eff said (again) he will try to draft a “What Is PUBS” brochure.

  • May do a Brew at campout in July

Competition Style Calendar:

  • April: Scottish/Scotch Ales

  • May: Bock Beers

Minutes - PUBS Board of Directors Meeting - March 4, 2018

Minutes - PUBS Board of Directors Meeting – Mar 1, 2018

Kathrin’s Biergarten, Rocklin (or maybe Red Bus, Folsom – stay tuned), 6:30pm

Feb Minutes reviewed and approved

Dave Damian Matt Jeff Mark Kevin Andrew Bud

Last general meeting at Monk’s Cellar. Back to Kathrin’s in April. Damian will check at Brickyard on Eureka Rd.

PUBS Campout Update (July 27 –29, Madrone site, Forbes Creek Campground):

  • Jeff will solicit a coordinator for food/activities at meeting and via meetup.

  • If none by April, Jeff will facilitate

March Presentation:

  • Maybe have Big Mike say a few words about light lagers (if he is up to it).

  • Do a better job of going through commercial sample for judging support/appreciation.

  • Consider having “official” judges (at least 2, one being BJCP certified) in addition to popular vote.

Treasurer:

  • Raffle will happen in March

  • We should try the Bingo fundraiser in March

  • Mark will investigate whether beer can be donated for raffle

Activities:

  • Collaboration with Monk’s Cellar on April 7 th (after BOD meeting, Bud said he could coordinate with Andy).

  • AHA competition April 13-15 at Sudwerks in Davis (looking for volunteers & judges) Dave will send contact.

  • Sacramento Brew-Off (21 st Amendment) May 12 th . Capitol Hop Shop in downtown Sac. No clones, 5 gal brew

  • Brew Day at Jeff’s house on May 19 th

  • A bottle share after June 3 rd (who’s place?)

  • Rocklin Brewfest in June – Bud is investigating how we might participate (pour?)

  • Maybe have next BOD at Red Bus in Folsom

Fundraising:

  • Need more donated prizes

  • Mark will investigate whether beer can be donated for raffle

Membership:

OK. Nothing new

Ideas for club activities:

  • - Sponsor a class at Brewmeister in Roseville. Dave will talk to Eric.

  • - Clones of local Brewery beers. Up to 2 per year (Damian will present).

Competition Style Calendar:

  • March: Light (in color) Lagers

  • April: Scottish/Scotch Ales

  • May: Bock Beers

Minutes - PUBS Board of Directors Meeting - February 1, 2018

Minutes - PUBS Board of Directors Meeting – Feb 1, 2018

Kathrin’s Biergarten, Rocklin, 6:30pm

Jan Minutes review and approved

Matt out with an injury from a broken carboy

Union Jack Judging:

  • 2 Bottles on each Table (start with 1, then replace when empty)

  • Put single glass of UJ in middle of each table for color comparison

  • Pitchers (Dave has 4) used for entries

  • If there are 6 or fewer entries, put in real UJ as an entry (a “ringer”)

  • Need 12-18 bottles – get early, as not always available.

We will be at Monk’s Cellar for February and March. Back in Kathrin’s in April. Another possibility is Cool River Pizza. Damian will check on a possible site on Eureka Rd.

PUBS Campout (July 27-29 2018)

  • Need volunteers to be lead for Food and Activities

  • Ask members present at Feb meeting (Jeff is backup for food lead if nobody else volunteers)

Treasurer:

Taxes are filed

Mark provided more details regarding BINGO, but seeking additional info.

  • Bingo is licensed by cities, and Rocklin is not an option for Bingo. Roseville OK

  • Need at least 25 participants for a game, and can only have one winner.

  • Consensus that we should give it a try (but not give up raffle just yet)

Need CA Attorney General filing in September

February Presentation:

Dave will put together presentation on how he created his clone (in collaboration with Jeff)

Activities:

  • Rocklin Brewfest in June – may not be a fundraiser, but an opportunity for PR

  • Dave will talk to Big Mike about a brewery tour

  • Haze Craze Brew Day at Don Isbell’s Feb 10 th . Brew day at Jeff’s in May (date TBD)

  • State Fair entries due Feb 16 th . Judging is March 9-11 (will need judges)

  • May do a collaboration brew with Monk’s Cellar (possibly a kettle sour)

Fundraising:

  • Need more donated prizes

  • Barktoberfest – Bud will investigate… is it happening, can we participate?

Membership:

  • Kevin has new cards

  • Mark to fill in for membership signup at Feb meeting (Kevin will not be available)

Ideas for future meeting presentations:

  • Jennifer Talley (session beers)

  • Beer defects (JJ Jackson)

Competition Calendar:

  • Reach out to members regarding styles or competition scheduling

Competition Details: Be very clear when presenting the upcoming competition details, about expectations (e.g. when we are looking for a specific BJCP style, vs when the category is broader). Entries that do not meet the competition criteria can be evaluated, and receive feedback. But they cannot win the competition.

Minutes - PUBS Board of Directors Meeting - January 4, 2018

Minutes - PUBS Board of Directors Meeting – Jan 4, 2018

Kathrin’s Biergarten, Rocklin, 6:30pm

Union Jack Judging:

  • Bottle on each Table

  • Recipe and process are up to the competitors

  • Use standard judging form, but compare to sample, instead of BJCP guidelines

We will be at Monk’s Cellar for January, February and March. Back in Kathrin’s in April

Upcoming Presentation Ideas:

  • Brewing Water

  • Gravity

  • Gadgets

Revenue Generating Ideas:

  • Bingo instead of raffle? ($25 Annual fee from Roseville)

  • Pull Tab - Mark will investigate Rules

Local Brewery Tours:

  • Ask Dave to investigate

New Brochure

  • Jeff said he would try creating a draft (not done yet)

  • Post at Sierra College

Recognition for Gold members – keep it simple (and cheap)

Membership drive:

  • Outreach to members & NON-members

  • Outreach at activities (volunteer)

Events:

  • Matt will reach out to Cynthia re: Barktoberfest and other events

Brew days: Try to engage absent members Don-Feb, Jeff-May

Minutes - PUBS Board of Directors Meeting – Sept 7, 2017

  1. Welcome

  2. Operation:

    1. Status of any current/ongoing business related to board positions:

      1. Damien – Secretary

        1. minutes approved.

      2. Dave/Mark – Treasurer(s)

        1. $1734 left

        2. $129 and 20 checks still outstanding

        3. dropped below $2000 because of insurance

        4. Harbor freight, maybe some paint needed

      3. Don – Director of Activities

        1. Brass Tap - try and make sure we enter

        2. No guest speaker for spiced ales yet

        3. Chris White feelers for next 4 months

        4. Martin Liddle - looking for right month

        5. celebrewtion by Gold Country coming

        6. AHA Heretic - middle October

      4. Ginny – Director of PR/Fund Raising

        1. Not in attendance

        2. Don could start a slide show to have a garage sale of brew equipment to fund raise

        3. Supposed to be a raffle at General meeting (we never found raffle tickets so it did not happen)

        4. golf tourney cancelled

      5. Kevin –Director of Membership

        1. Membership Update

        2. On membership form add AHA member - we get a $5-7 kick back

      6. Chris – Vice President

        1. Dec - brewers best

        2. Oct - Trappist

        3. Jan - ?

        4. Feb - clone TBD

        5. Future possibilities:  Dortmund, Swartzbier, Hazy IPA, Fruit beer, Pils, Pre-Prohibition, Brown, breakfast, Baltic

 

  1. Upcoming Meeting(s)

    1. Sept - Brewers best: perhaps slide show with how things went at NCHF.  Jeff nominated as historian

    2. NCHF: GEt happy hour list from?

      1. no black pearl?, use 3 jockey’s and cobra taps

      2. flag - yes, flag pole- maybe

      3. do they provide glasses

      4. put out pub mix

  2. Agenda for general meeting on Aug 17th.

  3. New Business Not Incl. on Agenda

    1. Get a card/shirt for Susan to say thanks signed by members

    2. Jeff: How to generate interest in Gold Membership?

    3. Beer Camp Membership drive: camp out reservation for 2018 - bring numbers

    4. Is Ginny still passionate about her role?

  4. Storage Rental

  • Black Pearl?  Mark try and find a replacement freezer

  • jockey boxes

  • giant system - find a good home

  • use any proceed for dump run

  • Try and pair down contents until we can discontinue

  1. Insurance - $250 but free if 75% of lcub are AHA members

  • Just pay it ;-)

Minutes - PUBS Board of Directors Meeting - August 3, 2017

  1. Welcome

  2. Operation:

    1. Status of any current/ongoing business related to board positions:

      1. Damian – Secretary

        1. minutes approved.

      2. Dave/Mark – Treasurer(s)

        1. July - $2100 left

        2. $22 check for pretzels

        3. total wine, quickbooks paid

        4. dropped below $2000 and charged $10

        5. golf tourney - hats?

        6. NCHF expenses?

      3. Don – Director of Activities

        1. Beer Summit Dinner (Sept 7,8,9) - hand out flyers again

        2. Sept-trappist, Oct- Best, Nov - Spicy  - Aug 19

        3. Bring American Brewing to talk about how he spices beer and have someone brew a recipe of theirs

        4. Big Mike - trappist talk

        5. switch trappist and best, contact Mike and change if necessary

        6. Loomis beer and Wine - charity for aging population

      4. Ginny – Director of PR/Fund Raising

        1. Not in attendance

      5. Kevin –Director of Membership

        1. Membership Update

      6. Chris – Vice President

        1. On Leave

 

  1. Upcoming Meeting(s)

    1. Homebrew topics/speaker suggestions

    2. NCHF – Food, Staffing for Hoppy Hour, Set up

    3. Mark will ask for a food coordinator for the Mexican Dinner

    4. don will make chili

    5. Dave said will make corn muffins - do we have mini muffin tins?

      1. Damien has some mini muffin tins if Dave wants them

    6. bacon smores was floated as plan B

    7. Hoppy Hour Staff - no problem, we will need sign ups

    8. Mark will make check lists for NCHF

  2. Agenda for general meeting on Aug 17th.

  3. Update for Golf Tournament - Jeff will reach out to Ginny to see if it is still viable

  4. New Business Not Incl. on Agenda

  5. Storage Rental

  • Black Pearl?  Mark try and find a replacement freezer

  • jockey boxes

  • giant system - find a good home

  • use any proceed for dump run

  • Try and pair down contents until we can discontinue

  1. Insurance - $250 but free if 75% of lcub are AHA members

  • Just pay it ;-)

Minutes - PUBS Board of Directors Meeting – July 6, 2017

Minutes - PUBS Board of Directors Meeting – July 6, 2017
Black Vinyl Project, Rocklin, 6:30pm

I.               Welcome (Jeff Jacobs – President Not Present)

II.             Operation:

a.    Status of any current/ongoing business related to board positions:

                                              i.     Damian – Secretary

1.     Not Present

                                            ii.     Dave/Mark – Treasurer(s)

1.     Bank account has been reconciled – no issues

2.     Bank balance = $2084.75

a.    $364 is outstanding for purchase of Tee-Shirts.

b.    New checks have arrived.

c.     Club insurance is due soon.

d.    BYO subscription offer has been extended to Sept.

                                          iii.     Don – Director of Activities

1.     Not Present

2.     Damien’s bottle was successful, but would like more members to attend. (Dave)

3.     Next meeting:

a.    Aged Beer Competition

b.    Damien will present on his experiment.

c.     NCHF

·    Sept 15-17th

·    Jeff reserved campsite for the club

·    Chilli Dogs for the booth

·    Mexican food for camp

·    Andrew Sach volunteered to make tree stands for the booth.

·    Need a beer list

                                            iv.     Ginny – Fund Raising

1.     Running low on Raffle prizes.  Suggest everyone hit up breweries or ?  for donations.

2.     Gold Tournament

a.    Need to create a flyer

b.    Need up create a web page

c.     Two more sponsors: 101 North Brewing Co. & Grav South Brewing Co.

                                              v.     Kevin – for Director of Membership

1.     Club roster printed out with contact data for most members. Will add cover letter.

                                            vi.     Chris – Vice President

1.     Not Present

2.     Dave review club competition schedule

3.     Dave will do commercial examples until Chris returns

III.           New Business Not Incl. on Agenda

a.  Crooked Lane beer release was very successful. Dave named the beer “This One’s for Anne” in honor of Anne Sach

b.  Dave presented a potential summer campout location for Jeff

                                     i.              Forbes Creek Camp

                                   ii.              Ice House Resort ($30/night) (suggested by Ginny)

 Minutes - PUBS Board of Directors Meeting – June 1, 2017

 Minutes - PUBS Board of Directors Meeting – June 1, 2017
Black Vinyl Project, Rocklin, 6:30pm

  1. Welcome
  2. Operation: 
    1. Status of any current/ongoing business related to board positions:
      1. Damian – Secretary
        1. Minutes for May approved
      2. Dave/Mark – Treasurer(s)
        1. Everything is balanced and looks good
        2. $80 still to deposit
          1. This doesn’t include NCHF (usually $500)
          2. Negative net $240 this year thru May 31
          3. Revisit storage unit, place in Roseville by the tracks that would be cheaper.
          4. Raffle expencses approaching limit
          5. Mark needs blank checks
      3. Don – Director of Activities
        1. Damien’s bottle share in July 8th 4:00 - ?
          1. Expectations are to bring homebrew or commercial OK
        2. Next meeting: 
          1. Crooked Lane experiences
          2. Q and A
          3. Brewer’s Best Competition
          4. Rocklin Brewfest June 3, Auburn June 10th
          5. Ideas (events) – NCHF 15-17th
          6. How to best utilize Tim?
            1. III.Don will call
            2. IV.Is hoppy hour happening?  Booth construction?

 

      1. Ginny – Not in attendance
      2. Kevin – for Director of Membership
        1. Club roster printed out with contact data for most members (great job!)
      3. Chris – Vice President
        1. Dave will do commercial examples until Chris returns

 

  1. New Business Not Incl. on Agenda
    1. Crooked Lane release on Sat June 17th
    2. Beer Policy (again)
      1. Over 12 no more than 1 entry
      2. At 14 no more allowed based on 1st 14 entered.
    3. Annual Featured speakers in an attempt to make things engaging and fresh
      1. ~$300 stipend for higher level speakers
    4. Possible future throw down
      1. SMASH
      2. Historical
      3. Crooked lane – 45 gallon common wort

 PUBS Board of Directors Meeting – May 4, 2017


Black Vinyl Project, Rocklin, 6:30pm

  1. Welcome
  2. The passing of Anne Sach – make sure the website reflects her passing
  3. Operation: 
    1. Status of any current/ongoing business related to board positions:
      1. Damian – Secretary
        1. It was requested that Minutes be added to the top so that there is clear distinction between agenda and minutes
      2. Dave/Mark – Treasurer(s)
        1. Everything is balanced.
        2. $2487 in account with $133.93 outstanding
      3. Don – Director of Activities
        1. Next meeting is to be held at BV (make sure social media reflects this)
        2. No contact with Crooked Lan yet about future brewing plan – people who entered can be there on brew day.
        3. Presentations
          1. Experimental- pitch rate
            1. Create head to head competition from A vs B
          2. Big Mike
        4. Future experiments
          1. Does pH matter
          2. Check out “lager series”
        5. Need someone is in charge of Board/General meeting
          1. Don is happy doing it for now.

 

      1. Ginny – Director of PR/Fund Raising 
        1. More prizes and pretzels needed
        2. Need more donations
        3. Ask guest speakers from breweries if they have any swag they could donate
        4. Hold a PUBS beer tasting even at Total Wine
      2. Kevin – for Director of Membership
        1. 48 current members, 17 of which are gold members
        2. Can we come up with ways to find new members
      3. Chris – Vice President
        1. Not in attendance 

 

  1. Upcoming Meeting(s)
    1. Homebrew topics/speaker suggestions
    2. Getting serious about NCHF – planning meeting
      1. We need commitments for Beer, Camp Activity or Booth
      2. Brew share and brainstorm at Jeff’s House Sat June 3rd

 

  1. Agenda for general meeting on May 18th.
    1. Brew ?’s
    2. Experimental Series
    3. Big Mike – Kolsch
    4. Announcements: brainstorm for NCHF and have white board for sign ups
  1. Details/plans/next steps for Golf Tournament
    1. Volunteers for the committee
      1. Free round of golf for volunteers
      2. ii.Already 7 sponsors
      3. iii.Email blast/social media blasts
      4. iv.Possibly add page to website.
  2. New Business Not Incl. on Agenda
    1. We need to revisit Mission Statement/By-laws and come up with a paragraph summarizing them

PUBS Board of Directors Meeting – November 3, 2016

 

  1. Welcome – WBMAB?

 

  1. Operation: UPDATE
    1. Status of any current/on-going business related to board position or SPG in addition to notes requests attached to your name below:
      1. Damien – Secretary
        1. Minutes from Last Month- Tim submitted these as D was absent
        2. Additional Topics?
          1. It was agreed Damien would post and send email letting everyone know it was completed.
      2. Dave/Jeff – Treasurer(s)
        1. Still rougly $3000
        2. Shade strx , stickers and glasses were purchased
        3. Prelim budget should be ready next meeting (Jan)
        4. Time to collect membership dues
          1. Choice of glass or bottle opener if dues paid early
        5. No change to family plan
        6. Gold members pay $50 with 1 glass/opener and tshirt
        7. Members don’t pay sales tax, we will take the small hit
        8. Need to look into a new laptop and projector
      3. Tim – Director of Events
        1. AHA – Learn to Brew
          1. 9 am setup 10am start
          2. $100 for booth
          3. Can park below, don’t need to park in front
          4. Be sure to bring membership applications
        2. Change to Monk’s venue
          1. Nov meeting – 
          2. Dec 3rd party – 7:30
        3. Xmas party limit to $20 white elephant ( 2 steals)
      4. Ginny – Director of PR/Fund Raising 
        1. Xmas ornaments handing from little tree - $3
          1. Bottle openers
        2. Make announcement at general meeting in November to bring cash to the xmas party.
        3. Have we received our new glassware, etc…??
      5. Don – Vice President
        1. Proposed 2017 Competition Schedule
          1. Brewer’s worst
            1. What went wrong?
            2. Monthly?
            3. Possibly just getting feedback not necessarily bad
            4. Call it “Feedback Corner”?
          2. Possible changes
            1. Add ciders/mead
            2. April – change to only pale
            3. Spiced ales and ciders/meads (2 categories)
        2. Talk with Andy on Xmas party – it’s all covered.
  1. Possible Venues
    1. Round Table on Sunset has a large back room and they are friendly about letting people use it.  Need to check viability
    2. Dave and Busters is a good backup

 

  1. 2017 Board
      1. President
      2. VP – Chris Couture
      3. Secretary – Damien Lawrence
      4. Membership – Anne
      5. Treasurer – Dave and Jeff if no-one else volunteers
      6. Activity – Don 
      7. PR - ?

 

  1. New Business Not Incl. on Agenda
    1. Future goal that all board members give 1 presentation
    2. Possible cider collaboration with Pismo Beach Cidery

Meeting Minutes - Board of Directors - October 6, 2016

PUBS

Board of Directors Meeting

10/06/2016

Meeting Started: 6:40pm

Present: Jason Williamson, Dave Long, Tim Dozier, Jeff Jacobs, Don Isbell, Ginny Moreau, Chris Mattox, Joe Gorman, Ann, Kevin and Andrew Sach.

Last Month’s Minutes: Last month’s minutes were not available to vote on because our Secretary Damien Lawrence was not in attendance.

Treasury Report: (Dave Long and Jeff Jacobs) Current Balance is approx. $3100 + petty cash. Dave- In review of raffle purchases, we must continue to use caution that our raffle purchases do not exceed 10% of revenue, currently we are at approx 13%. We also discussed membership dues going forward, Do we want to add an additional $10 fee per additional family member or keep it as is. This is something that will need to be voted on.

Barktoberfest: (Cynthia Lee) Event is this Sunday October 9th. We are good on volunteers for set up and pouring beer. Food has been purchased and will be supplied to volunteers. Set up is 9-9:30am. At this point pushing ticket sales.

Other Activities: Brewery Tour-Look into Sunpower Bus for a second tour. AHA rally Oct. 29th. Nov 5th AHA Learn to Homebrew Day-club along with Patrick OHara will be hosting an event that day at his shop in Auburn, details to follow.

Merchandising (Ginny Moreau) Glasses: 144 @ $2.25ea + $60 one time set up fee + Shipping. (We need final price before ordering as price sounds high compared to what we paid last time.) Stickers and Shirts $7-15, Hats $8-10 with digitizing fee.( Decision: Get final pricing with all costs to order glasses ASAP)

Misc. Items

-Club Storage: Ginny has reported that her personal PUBS glasses went missing from the storage locker. These items may have been mistakenly taken to the Brewers Summit for exhibition, and have since went missing. Suggestion, to have a sign in/out sheet for items in storage. Also suggested, no personal items should be left in the storage unit.

-Membership Forms: We need to have updated membership applications ready to go for NOV and DEC meetings.

-Christmas Party: At Monks Cellar Saturday December 3rd? at 7 or 7:30 pm. Still working out the details with Andy.

-New Meeting Venue: Will be Dave and Busters for October, and Monks Cellar for Nov and Dec.

-New Board Positions: Cellar Master, Past President, 2 Person Treasury, each were voted down. Cellar Master/stewards will be managed by VP as part of his/her duties.

Adjourn: 8:26pm

Meeting Minutes - Board of Directors - July 7, 2016

PUBS - Board of Directors Meeting 7/7/2016 Meeting Started: 6:45pm

Present: Jason Williamson, Dave Long, Tim Dozier, Jeff Jacobs, Damien Lawrence, Paul and Ginny Moreau, Joe Gorman, Chris Mattox.

Last Month’s Minutes: Voted to approve unanimously.

Treasury Report: (Dave Long and Jeff Jacobs)

  • No real changes

Merchandising (Ginny)):

  • Glassware
  • Last year - $275 for 144 glasses, this year it would only be $243
  • Suggested that we add stickers to order (Dave is getting prices on this)
  • Shirts - need to order men’s t-shirts but still need to find best cost
  • Bottle Openers - 100 for $317
    • It was unanimous to order if under $3 each landed

Dave pointed out that we need to pay sales tax for theses out of club money so this needs to be embedded in cost.

Ginny suggested a price point of $5 increments on most items

NCHF Update: (Tim Dozier)

Beers for Event: Would like to have 6 beers  as listed then add 3-4 more that are not Belgians.  It was suggested having a tasting at the campsite and picking the best to add to the rotation

  1. Dave Long Belgian Golden Strong,
  2. JW Dubbel,
  3. Jeff Jacobs Belgian Blonde,
  4. Don Isbell Saison,
  5. Tim Dozier Belgian White IPA,
  6. Damien Lawrence Belgian Cider

 

Food for Event:  Ginny made several samples of possible food to be served great.  The costs were:

  • Citrus Endive Salad - $0.50 each
  • Pear Endive Salad -$0.60 each
  • Tart Cherry meatball -$0.17 each
  • Chocolate Pops   -$0.14

Plates with meatballs, endive and choco pop would run around $200, keep in mind we have a $500 budget for the event in total

Booth Update:  It should cost around $200 and the committee will care care of it.  Campsites were around $140

Food for Campsite:  Friday night should be a BYO BBQ.  People are to bring whatever they would like to BBQ with some extra to share.  A potluck of side dishes should give enough food

EVERYONE SHOULD BRING FIREWOOD FOR CAMPSITE!

Storage Inventory: Damien, JW, Dave, Jeff, Ginny have keys and there is one on site

  • Black Pearl no in yet but some would like it to be
  • Booth
  • 2 jockey boxes
  • Shade
  • Brew system?

Meetings:  Feedback from June was very positive but we all agreed we still need to keep mixing it up.

  • September meeting moved to 22nd
  • Ideas for future meetings
    • Start at 6:30 sharp
    • Say meeting starts at 6:00
    • 6-6:30 is official social time

Tim

Brewers Summit: September 9th-10th, Club to host booth demonstrating homebrew equipment and ingredients with interactive demonstration of brewing onsite with electric brew system, volunteered by Joe Gorman. We need to continue to promote event on our facebook page.

Beer Institute - Aug 20:  could use a couple of people who would get free entrance

Bus Trip: would be fun in the future but Tim has not looked into a future date yet.

Brewer’s Calendar: (Don Isbell) not present

Educational:  Current format of offering educational components was well received.  Possible suggestions for future topics:

  • Hitting target gravities (covered by beersmith)
  • pH
  • Utilizing Brewer’s Friend website
  • Build out on kettle

New Board Venues: suggested that we should hold a Board Meeting at these venues to see which is a best fit

  • Craft Beer Vault
  • Owl Club
  • Old Towne Pizza

Misc. Items

  • Legislation: clubs can share at licensed establishments if it goes trough
  • Membership list can be found on goolgedrive: admin >membership >2016

Meeting Minutes - Board of Directors - June 2, 2016

PUBS Board of Directors Meeting 6/2/2016

Meeting Started: 6:45pm

Present: Jason Williamson, Dave Long, Tim Dozier, Jeff Jacobs, Damien Lawrence, Paul and Ginny Moreau, Joe Gorman, Chris.

Last Month’s Minutes: Voted to approve unanimously.

Treasury Report: (Dave Long and Jeff Jacobs)

  • Current Balance is approx.  $3300 + petty cash.
  • Upcoming expenses: NCHF
  • Membership fees will be reduced to $15 for remainder of calendar year

Merchandising (Chris Mattox): Ginny Moreau had several quotes for glassware for club including growlers, tulip glasses, and bottle openers. Staying with the current design was the general opinion. Ginny was double checking some prices.

NCHF Update: (Tim Dozier) Volunteer committees coming together. Booth Design shown by Dave Long and Jeff Jacobs Red House using PVC and Styrofoam boards painted and decorated.

Beers for Event: Would like to have 9 beers total for event.

  1. Dave Long Belgian Golden Strong,
  2. JW Dubbel,
  3. Jeff Jacobs Belgian Blonde,
  4. Don Isbell Saison,
  5. Tim Dozier Belgian White IPA,
  6. Damien Lawrence Belgian Cider
  7. Belgian Dark
  8. Tripple
  9. ?

Food for Event:  Ginny shared several recipes that sounded great.  Three finalists were:

  • Endive Salad
  • Waffles
  • Sausages

It was thought sampling some of these at JW’s brew day would be a good idea.

Food for Campsite:  Friday night should be a BYO BBQ.  People are to bring whatever they would like to BBQ with some extra to share.  A potluck of side dishes should give enough food

 

Number of People Attending: Approx 20, probably need Jeff has reserved three campsites. Jeff, Chris and Dave volunteered to go Thursday and reserve camping spots.  We could use three EZ-up tents to be brought.

It was suggested that we have a Brew Day at JW’s to develop some recipes for event.

Brewers Summit: September 9th-10th, Club to host booth demonstrating homebrew equipment and ingredients with interactive demonstration of brewing onsite with electric brew system, volunteered by Joe Gorman. We need to continue to promote event on our facebook page.

State Fair:  July 8-24  Looking for people to take the booth, need to know by June 11th

Rocklin Brewfest: August  1st week (exact date not known)  more info to follow

Brewer’s Calendar: (Don Isbell) not present

Educational:  Current format of offering educational components was well received.  Possible suggestions for future topics:

  • Beersmith - chosen for June meeting
  • Hitting target gravities (covered by beersmith)
  • pH
  • Utilizing Brewer’s Friend website
  • Build out on kettle

Storage Access:  Thanks to Karen for getting a great deal for our storage.  We need 3 or more key copies or 5 keys with a new lock.  Club access permission possibilities were discussed.

State Fair Winners:  We need to take time to recognize the winners in June Meeting

Communication Channels: email vs messenger were discussed.  Decided to stick with email but it was suggested that if something was important, messenger should be utilized as well.

New Board Venues:

  • Craft Beer Vault
  • Owl Club
  • Old Towne Pizza

Misc. Items

  • Where are we going?: Do we want to continue to run the meetings as we are or do we want to switch things up with the nightly competition and presentations? The Board were surveyed about what they would like out of the club
    • Become better brewers
    • Be more social
    • More educational days
    • Social events- such as beer tours
    • Keep the same but find a way to speed up meetings
      • Each table gets 2-3 beers and best of show comes from there
  • Benefits of being a Gold Member (insert Austin Powers joke here…) were discussed.  Should they get special mugs or a T-shirt.  No real decisions made.

Meeting Minutes - Board of Directors - April 7, 2016

Meeting Minutes: PUBS Board of Directors Meeting 04/07/16 Meeting Start: 6:30pm

Meeting Adjourn: 8:24pm

Present: Jason Williamson, Don Isbell, Tim Dozier, Ginny Moreau, Paul Moreau, Jeff Butterworth, Mike Moore, David Long, Jeff Jacobs, Cynthia Lee, Rick Lee, 2 guests

Last Month’s Minutes: Approved

Summary of Voting Results:

  1. Vote: Approve last month’s BoD meeting minutes = PASS
  2. Vote: Continue to budget money for new computer while using computer donated by Don (at a cost of $50 to cover Don’s cost for new hard drive) = PASS
  3. Vote to pay for 1 year of storage at Central Rocklin Self-Storage at $62 = PASS
  4. Vote to budget $25 for flip-top bottle seals (bottles to be used in raffle) = PASS
  5. Vote: Limit members to single entry in competition = NO PASS
  6. Vote: Ten-minute limit for judging = PASS
  7. Vote: At count of 12 beers in competition, ask any brewer with multiple entries to only enter one beer into the competition. = PASS

Key Action Items [person(s),deadline]:

  • [All, March BoD Meeting]: President requests board members to review/edit brewing-scholarship proposal document (use google “edit mode”) before next BoD meeting, and provide suggestions/comments

Minutes:

  1. Approved last month’s minutes
  2. Treasury Update (David Long, Jeff Jacobs)
    1. Brewery tour took in between $800 and $900 for tour with costs near $600
    2. Approximately $3700 in the bank
    3. Total members is approximately 50, but membership dues is down by about $200
    4. We were given a warning from the attorney general about raffles
      1. Raffle expenses cannot exceed 10% of what we take in for the raffle
      2. Actions/notes
        1. Be sure to count tickets as administrative expenses as we use them for other activities
        2. Note that many raffle expenses have larger “up front” costs, but the use will be drawn out over the course of the year
      3. We now have a sales permit
  • Activities Update (Tim Dozier)
    1. Educational brewery tour
      1. Was a success, plan a tour once a quarter
      2. Upcoming activities include State Fair, Brewer’s Summit, NCHF
    2. NCHF
      1. Tim to create interest list
      2. Chris and Darren will coordinate reservations
  • Also need: Food planning, Booth design, Beer for booth
  1. Public Relations and Fundraising (Ginny Moreau)
    1. Interested in inventory, budget on glassware
      1. Ginny will bring in some options for glassware for next time
    2. There is interest in getting more stickers printed
  2. Vice President (Don Isbell)
    1. In April, the stewards will provide style of beer during judging
    2. We need to have the shirts out and available to buy – Ginny to take over shirt sales
    3. Commercial suggestions for stout meeting: Duvel and Trappist Vestal Tripel
    4. Brewing calendar discussion
      1. January should be “English Ales”
    5. Initiatives
      1. Meeting location
      2. Storage
        1. Agreement that 5x10 is the correct size
        2. Two viable options, Central Rocklin Self-Storage (offers $62/month with first-month free promotion and paying year in advance), and Armor Storage that may offer discount for non-profits
  • Vote to pay for 1 year of storage at Central Rocklin Self-Storage at $62 = PASS
  1. Brewing Scholarship
    1. No new developments
    1. AHA Bug Brew Day at Heretic – Heretic likely to donate grains, not a competition. May 7, 2016
    2. What to do with donated brew system? – Have a build day?
    3. Vote to budget $25 for flip-top bottle seals (bottles to be used in raffle) = PASS
    4. Guest speakers for each month? “Andy” for April?
    5. Resurrection of recipe database
      1. Encourage members to bring recipe with entry
    6. Consider giving a “tour” of the website at a meeting
    7. Vote: Limit members to single entry in competition = NO PASS
    8. Vote: Ten-minute limit for judging = PASS
    9. Vote: At count of 12 beers in competition, ask any brewer with multiple entries to only enter one beer into the competition. = PASS
    10. Suggestion/Comment cards from members at meetings
      1. Desire for BJCP set of judges
      2. Beersmith tutorial (x2)
  • Mike walk through example judging
  1. Basics of kegging parts
  2. Cider and meads
  3. Have judge at each table with two score sheets at each table (one for judge and one for group)
  1. Meeting location
    1. Ideas: Roseville OTP, Craft Beer Vault, Owl Club, Monks Cellar, Boneshaker (Sunset location)

Meeting minutes recorded by: Jeff Butterworth