Minutes - PUBS Board of Directors Meeting – June 1, 2017

 Minutes - PUBS Board of Directors Meeting – June 1, 2017
Black Vinyl Project, Rocklin, 6:30pm

  1. Welcome
  2. Operation: 
    1. Status of any current/ongoing business related to board positions:
      1. Damian – Secretary
        1. Minutes for May approved
      2. Dave/Mark – Treasurer(s)
        1. Everything is balanced and looks good
        2. $80 still to deposit
          1. This doesn’t include NCHF (usually $500)
          2. Negative net $240 this year thru May 31
          3. Revisit storage unit, place in Roseville by the tracks that would be cheaper.
          4. Raffle expencses approaching limit
          5. Mark needs blank checks
      3. Don – Director of Activities
        1. Damien’s bottle share in July 8th 4:00 - ?
          1. Expectations are to bring homebrew or commercial OK
        2. Next meeting: 
          1. Crooked Lane experiences
          2. Q and A
          3. Brewer’s Best Competition
          4. Rocklin Brewfest June 3, Auburn June 10th
          5. Ideas (events) – NCHF 15-17th
          6. How to best utilize Tim?
            1. III.Don will call
            2. IV.Is hoppy hour happening?  Booth construction?

 

      1. Ginny – Not in attendance
      2. Kevin – for Director of Membership
        1. Club roster printed out with contact data for most members (great job!)
      3. Chris – Vice President
        1. Dave will do commercial examples until Chris returns

 

  1. New Business Not Incl. on Agenda
    1. Crooked Lane release on Sat June 17th
    2. Beer Policy (again)
      1. Over 12 no more than 1 entry
      2. At 14 no more allowed based on 1st 14 entered.
    3. Annual Featured speakers in an attempt to make things engaging and fresh
      1. ~$300 stipend for higher level speakers
    4. Possible future throw down
      1. SMASH
      2. Historical
      3. Crooked lane – 45 gallon common wort

 PUBS Board of Directors Meeting – May 4, 2017


Black Vinyl Project, Rocklin, 6:30pm

  1. Welcome
  2. The passing of Anne Sach – make sure the website reflects her passing
  3. Operation: 
    1. Status of any current/ongoing business related to board positions:
      1. Damian – Secretary
        1. It was requested that Minutes be added to the top so that there is clear distinction between agenda and minutes
      2. Dave/Mark – Treasurer(s)
        1. Everything is balanced.
        2. $2487 in account with $133.93 outstanding
      3. Don – Director of Activities
        1. Next meeting is to be held at BV (make sure social media reflects this)
        2. No contact with Crooked Lan yet about future brewing plan – people who entered can be there on brew day.
        3. Presentations
          1. Experimental- pitch rate
            1. Create head to head competition from A vs B
          2. Big Mike
        4. Future experiments
          1. Does pH matter
          2. Check out “lager series”
        5. Need someone is in charge of Board/General meeting
          1. Don is happy doing it for now.

 

      1. Ginny – Director of PR/Fund Raising 
        1. More prizes and pretzels needed
        2. Need more donations
        3. Ask guest speakers from breweries if they have any swag they could donate
        4. Hold a PUBS beer tasting even at Total Wine
      2. Kevin – for Director of Membership
        1. 48 current members, 17 of which are gold members
        2. Can we come up with ways to find new members
      3. Chris – Vice President
        1. Not in attendance 

 

  1. Upcoming Meeting(s)
    1. Homebrew topics/speaker suggestions
    2. Getting serious about NCHF – planning meeting
      1. We need commitments for Beer, Camp Activity or Booth
      2. Brew share and brainstorm at Jeff’s House Sat June 3rd

 

  1. Agenda for general meeting on May 18th.
    1. Brew ?’s
    2. Experimental Series
    3. Big Mike – Kolsch
    4. Announcements: brainstorm for NCHF and have white board for sign ups
  1. Details/plans/next steps for Golf Tournament
    1. Volunteers for the committee
      1. Free round of golf for volunteers
      2. ii.Already 7 sponsors
      3. iii.Email blast/social media blasts
      4. iv.Possibly add page to website.
  2. New Business Not Incl. on Agenda
    1. We need to revisit Mission Statement/By-laws and come up with a paragraph summarizing them

PUBS Board of Directors Meeting – November 3, 2016

 

  1. Welcome – WBMAB?

 

  1. Operation: UPDATE
    1. Status of any current/on-going business related to board position or SPG in addition to notes requests attached to your name below:
      1. Damien – Secretary
        1. Minutes from Last Month- Tim submitted these as D was absent
        2. Additional Topics?
          1. It was agreed Damien would post and send email letting everyone know it was completed.
      2. Dave/Jeff – Treasurer(s)
        1. Still rougly $3000
        2. Shade strx , stickers and glasses were purchased
        3. Prelim budget should be ready next meeting (Jan)
        4. Time to collect membership dues
          1. Choice of glass or bottle opener if dues paid early
        5. No change to family plan
        6. Gold members pay $50 with 1 glass/opener and tshirt
        7. Members don’t pay sales tax, we will take the small hit
        8. Need to look into a new laptop and projector
      3. Tim – Director of Events
        1. AHA – Learn to Brew
          1. 9 am setup 10am start
          2. $100 for booth
          3. Can park below, don’t need to park in front
          4. Be sure to bring membership applications
        2. Change to Monk’s venue
          1. Nov meeting – 
          2. Dec 3rd party – 7:30
        3. Xmas party limit to $20 white elephant ( 2 steals)
      4. Ginny – Director of PR/Fund Raising 
        1. Xmas ornaments handing from little tree - $3
          1. Bottle openers
        2. Make announcement at general meeting in November to bring cash to the xmas party.
        3. Have we received our new glassware, etc…??
      5. Don – Vice President
        1. Proposed 2017 Competition Schedule
          1. Brewer’s worst
            1. What went wrong?
            2. Monthly?
            3. Possibly just getting feedback not necessarily bad
            4. Call it “Feedback Corner”?
          2. Possible changes
            1. Add ciders/mead
            2. April – change to only pale
            3. Spiced ales and ciders/meads (2 categories)
        2. Talk with Andy on Xmas party – it’s all covered.
  1. Possible Venues
    1. Round Table on Sunset has a large back room and they are friendly about letting people use it.  Need to check viability
    2. Dave and Busters is a good backup

 

  1. 2017 Board
      1. President
      2. VP – Chris Couture
      3. Secretary – Damien Lawrence
      4. Membership – Anne
      5. Treasurer – Dave and Jeff if no-one else volunteers
      6. Activity – Don 
      7. PR - ?

 

  1. New Business Not Incl. on Agenda
    1. Future goal that all board members give 1 presentation
    2. Possible cider collaboration with Pismo Beach Cidery

Meeting Minutes - Board of Directors - October 6, 2016

PUBS

Board of Directors Meeting

10/06/2016

Meeting Started: 6:40pm

Present: Jason Williamson, Dave Long, Tim Dozier, Jeff Jacobs, Don Isbell, Ginny Moreau, Chris Mattox, Joe Gorman, Ann, Kevin and Andrew Sach.

Last Month’s Minutes: Last month’s minutes were not available to vote on because our Secretary Damien Lawrence was not in attendance.

Treasury Report: (Dave Long and Jeff Jacobs) Current Balance is approx. $3100 + petty cash. Dave- In review of raffle purchases, we must continue to use caution that our raffle purchases do not exceed 10% of revenue, currently we are at approx 13%. We also discussed membership dues going forward, Do we want to add an additional $10 fee per additional family member or keep it as is. This is something that will need to be voted on.

Barktoberfest: (Cynthia Lee) Event is this Sunday October 9th. We are good on volunteers for set up and pouring beer. Food has been purchased and will be supplied to volunteers. Set up is 9-9:30am. At this point pushing ticket sales.

Other Activities: Brewery Tour-Look into Sunpower Bus for a second tour. AHA rally Oct. 29th. Nov 5th AHA Learn to Homebrew Day-club along with Patrick OHara will be hosting an event that day at his shop in Auburn, details to follow.

Merchandising (Ginny Moreau) Glasses: 144 @ $2.25ea + $60 one time set up fee + Shipping. (We need final price before ordering as price sounds high compared to what we paid last time.) Stickers and Shirts $7-15, Hats $8-10 with digitizing fee.( Decision: Get final pricing with all costs to order glasses ASAP)

Misc. Items

-Club Storage: Ginny has reported that her personal PUBS glasses went missing from the storage locker. These items may have been mistakenly taken to the Brewers Summit for exhibition, and have since went missing. Suggestion, to have a sign in/out sheet for items in storage. Also suggested, no personal items should be left in the storage unit.

-Membership Forms: We need to have updated membership applications ready to go for NOV and DEC meetings.

-Christmas Party: At Monks Cellar Saturday December 3rd? at 7 or 7:30 pm. Still working out the details with Andy.

-New Meeting Venue: Will be Dave and Busters for October, and Monks Cellar for Nov and Dec.

-New Board Positions: Cellar Master, Past President, 2 Person Treasury, each were voted down. Cellar Master/stewards will be managed by VP as part of his/her duties.

Adjourn: 8:26pm

Meeting Minutes - Board of Directors - July 7, 2016

PUBS - Board of Directors Meeting 7/7/2016 Meeting Started: 6:45pm

Present: Jason Williamson, Dave Long, Tim Dozier, Jeff Jacobs, Damien Lawrence, Paul and Ginny Moreau, Joe Gorman, Chris Mattox.

Last Month’s Minutes: Voted to approve unanimously.

Treasury Report: (Dave Long and Jeff Jacobs)

  • No real changes

Merchandising (Ginny)):

  • Glassware
  • Last year - $275 for 144 glasses, this year it would only be $243
  • Suggested that we add stickers to order (Dave is getting prices on this)
  • Shirts - need to order men’s t-shirts but still need to find best cost
  • Bottle Openers - 100 for $317
    • It was unanimous to order if under $3 each landed

Dave pointed out that we need to pay sales tax for theses out of club money so this needs to be embedded in cost.

Ginny suggested a price point of $5 increments on most items

NCHF Update: (Tim Dozier)

Beers for Event: Would like to have 6 beers  as listed then add 3-4 more that are not Belgians.  It was suggested having a tasting at the campsite and picking the best to add to the rotation

  1. Dave Long Belgian Golden Strong,
  2. JW Dubbel,
  3. Jeff Jacobs Belgian Blonde,
  4. Don Isbell Saison,
  5. Tim Dozier Belgian White IPA,
  6. Damien Lawrence Belgian Cider

 

Food for Event:  Ginny made several samples of possible food to be served great.  The costs were:

  • Citrus Endive Salad - $0.50 each
  • Pear Endive Salad -$0.60 each
  • Tart Cherry meatball -$0.17 each
  • Chocolate Pops   -$0.14

Plates with meatballs, endive and choco pop would run around $200, keep in mind we have a $500 budget for the event in total

Booth Update:  It should cost around $200 and the committee will care care of it.  Campsites were around $140

Food for Campsite:  Friday night should be a BYO BBQ.  People are to bring whatever they would like to BBQ with some extra to share.  A potluck of side dishes should give enough food

EVERYONE SHOULD BRING FIREWOOD FOR CAMPSITE!

Storage Inventory: Damien, JW, Dave, Jeff, Ginny have keys and there is one on site

  • Black Pearl no in yet but some would like it to be
  • Booth
  • 2 jockey boxes
  • Shade
  • Brew system?

Meetings:  Feedback from June was very positive but we all agreed we still need to keep mixing it up.

  • September meeting moved to 22nd
  • Ideas for future meetings
    • Start at 6:30 sharp
    • Say meeting starts at 6:00
    • 6-6:30 is official social time

Tim

Brewers Summit: September 9th-10th, Club to host booth demonstrating homebrew equipment and ingredients with interactive demonstration of brewing onsite with electric brew system, volunteered by Joe Gorman. We need to continue to promote event on our facebook page.

Beer Institute - Aug 20:  could use a couple of people who would get free entrance

Bus Trip: would be fun in the future but Tim has not looked into a future date yet.

Brewer’s Calendar: (Don Isbell) not present

Educational:  Current format of offering educational components was well received.  Possible suggestions for future topics:

  • Hitting target gravities (covered by beersmith)
  • pH
  • Utilizing Brewer’s Friend website
  • Build out on kettle

New Board Venues: suggested that we should hold a Board Meeting at these venues to see which is a best fit

  • Craft Beer Vault
  • Owl Club
  • Old Towne Pizza

Misc. Items

  • Legislation: clubs can share at licensed establishments if it goes trough
  • Membership list can be found on goolgedrive: admin >membership >2016

Meeting Minutes - Board of Directors - June 2, 2016

PUBS Board of Directors Meeting 6/2/2016

Meeting Started: 6:45pm

Present: Jason Williamson, Dave Long, Tim Dozier, Jeff Jacobs, Damien Lawrence, Paul and Ginny Moreau, Joe Gorman, Chris.

Last Month’s Minutes: Voted to approve unanimously.

Treasury Report: (Dave Long and Jeff Jacobs)

  • Current Balance is approx.  $3300 + petty cash.
  • Upcoming expenses: NCHF
  • Membership fees will be reduced to $15 for remainder of calendar year

Merchandising (Chris Mattox): Ginny Moreau had several quotes for glassware for club including growlers, tulip glasses, and bottle openers. Staying with the current design was the general opinion. Ginny was double checking some prices.

NCHF Update: (Tim Dozier) Volunteer committees coming together. Booth Design shown by Dave Long and Jeff Jacobs Red House using PVC and Styrofoam boards painted and decorated.

Beers for Event: Would like to have 9 beers total for event.

  1. Dave Long Belgian Golden Strong,
  2. JW Dubbel,
  3. Jeff Jacobs Belgian Blonde,
  4. Don Isbell Saison,
  5. Tim Dozier Belgian White IPA,
  6. Damien Lawrence Belgian Cider
  7. Belgian Dark
  8. Tripple
  9. ?

Food for Event:  Ginny shared several recipes that sounded great.  Three finalists were:

  • Endive Salad
  • Waffles
  • Sausages

It was thought sampling some of these at JW’s brew day would be a good idea.

Food for Campsite:  Friday night should be a BYO BBQ.  People are to bring whatever they would like to BBQ with some extra to share.  A potluck of side dishes should give enough food

 

Number of People Attending: Approx 20, probably need Jeff has reserved three campsites. Jeff, Chris and Dave volunteered to go Thursday and reserve camping spots.  We could use three EZ-up tents to be brought.

It was suggested that we have a Brew Day at JW’s to develop some recipes for event.

Brewers Summit: September 9th-10th, Club to host booth demonstrating homebrew equipment and ingredients with interactive demonstration of brewing onsite with electric brew system, volunteered by Joe Gorman. We need to continue to promote event on our facebook page.

State Fair:  July 8-24  Looking for people to take the booth, need to know by June 11th

Rocklin Brewfest: August  1st week (exact date not known)  more info to follow

Brewer’s Calendar: (Don Isbell) not present

Educational:  Current format of offering educational components was well received.  Possible suggestions for future topics:

  • Beersmith - chosen for June meeting
  • Hitting target gravities (covered by beersmith)
  • pH
  • Utilizing Brewer’s Friend website
  • Build out on kettle

Storage Access:  Thanks to Karen for getting a great deal for our storage.  We need 3 or more key copies or 5 keys with a new lock.  Club access permission possibilities were discussed.

State Fair Winners:  We need to take time to recognize the winners in June Meeting

Communication Channels: email vs messenger were discussed.  Decided to stick with email but it was suggested that if something was important, messenger should be utilized as well.

New Board Venues:

  • Craft Beer Vault
  • Owl Club
  • Old Towne Pizza

Misc. Items

  • Where are we going?: Do we want to continue to run the meetings as we are or do we want to switch things up with the nightly competition and presentations? The Board were surveyed about what they would like out of the club
    • Become better brewers
    • Be more social
    • More educational days
    • Social events- such as beer tours
    • Keep the same but find a way to speed up meetings
      • Each table gets 2-3 beers and best of show comes from there
  • Benefits of being a Gold Member (insert Austin Powers joke here…) were discussed.  Should they get special mugs or a T-shirt.  No real decisions made.

Meeting Minutes - Board of Directors - April 7, 2016

Meeting Minutes: PUBS Board of Directors Meeting 04/07/16 Meeting Start: 6:30pm

Meeting Adjourn: 8:24pm

Present: Jason Williamson, Don Isbell, Tim Dozier, Ginny Moreau, Paul Moreau, Jeff Butterworth, Mike Moore, David Long, Jeff Jacobs, Cynthia Lee, Rick Lee, 2 guests

Last Month’s Minutes: Approved

Summary of Voting Results:

  1. Vote: Approve last month’s BoD meeting minutes = PASS
  2. Vote: Continue to budget money for new computer while using computer donated by Don (at a cost of $50 to cover Don’s cost for new hard drive) = PASS
  3. Vote to pay for 1 year of storage at Central Rocklin Self-Storage at $62 = PASS
  4. Vote to budget $25 for flip-top bottle seals (bottles to be used in raffle) = PASS
  5. Vote: Limit members to single entry in competition = NO PASS
  6. Vote: Ten-minute limit for judging = PASS
  7. Vote: At count of 12 beers in competition, ask any brewer with multiple entries to only enter one beer into the competition. = PASS

Key Action Items [person(s),deadline]:

  • [All, March BoD Meeting]: President requests board members to review/edit brewing-scholarship proposal document (use google “edit mode”) before next BoD meeting, and provide suggestions/comments

Minutes:

  1. Approved last month’s minutes
  2. Treasury Update (David Long, Jeff Jacobs)
    1. Brewery tour took in between $800 and $900 for tour with costs near $600
    2. Approximately $3700 in the bank
    3. Total members is approximately 50, but membership dues is down by about $200
    4. We were given a warning from the attorney general about raffles
      1. Raffle expenses cannot exceed 10% of what we take in for the raffle
      2. Actions/notes
        1. Be sure to count tickets as administrative expenses as we use them for other activities
        2. Note that many raffle expenses have larger “up front” costs, but the use will be drawn out over the course of the year
      3. We now have a sales permit
  • Activities Update (Tim Dozier)
    1. Educational brewery tour
      1. Was a success, plan a tour once a quarter
      2. Upcoming activities include State Fair, Brewer’s Summit, NCHF
    2. NCHF
      1. Tim to create interest list
      2. Chris and Darren will coordinate reservations
  • Also need: Food planning, Booth design, Beer for booth
  1. Public Relations and Fundraising (Ginny Moreau)
    1. Interested in inventory, budget on glassware
      1. Ginny will bring in some options for glassware for next time
    2. There is interest in getting more stickers printed
  2. Vice President (Don Isbell)
    1. In April, the stewards will provide style of beer during judging
    2. We need to have the shirts out and available to buy – Ginny to take over shirt sales
    3. Commercial suggestions for stout meeting: Duvel and Trappist Vestal Tripel
    4. Brewing calendar discussion
      1. January should be “English Ales”
    5. Initiatives
      1. Meeting location
      2. Storage
        1. Agreement that 5x10 is the correct size
        2. Two viable options, Central Rocklin Self-Storage (offers $62/month with first-month free promotion and paying year in advance), and Armor Storage that may offer discount for non-profits
  • Vote to pay for 1 year of storage at Central Rocklin Self-Storage at $62 = PASS
  1. Brewing Scholarship
    1. No new developments
    1. AHA Bug Brew Day at Heretic – Heretic likely to donate grains, not a competition. May 7, 2016
    2. What to do with donated brew system? – Have a build day?
    3. Vote to budget $25 for flip-top bottle seals (bottles to be used in raffle) = PASS
    4. Guest speakers for each month? “Andy” for April?
    5. Resurrection of recipe database
      1. Encourage members to bring recipe with entry
    6. Consider giving a “tour” of the website at a meeting
    7. Vote: Limit members to single entry in competition = NO PASS
    8. Vote: Ten-minute limit for judging = PASS
    9. Vote: At count of 12 beers in competition, ask any brewer with multiple entries to only enter one beer into the competition. = PASS
    10. Suggestion/Comment cards from members at meetings
      1. Desire for BJCP set of judges
      2. Beersmith tutorial (x2)
  • Mike walk through example judging
  1. Basics of kegging parts
  2. Cider and meads
  3. Have judge at each table with two score sheets at each table (one for judge and one for group)
  1. Meeting location
    1. Ideas: Roseville OTP, Craft Beer Vault, Owl Club, Monks Cellar, Boneshaker (Sunset location)

Meeting minutes recorded by: Jeff Butterworth

Meeting Minutes - Board of Directors - March 3, 2016

Meeting Minutes: PUBS Board of Directors Meeting 03/03/16 Meeting Start: 6:30pm

Meeting Adjourn: 8:36pm

Present: Jason Williamson, Don Isbell, Tim Dozier, Chris Mattox, Ginny Moreau, Paul Moreau, Jeff Butterworth, Mike Moore, David Long

Last Month’s Minutes: Approved

Summary of Voting Results:

  1. Vote: Approve last month’s BoD meeting minutes = PASS
  2. Vote: Approve David Long to serve as “secure mail location” = PASS
  3. Vote: Organize educational brewery tour on 4/3/16 at price of $40/per = PASS
  4. Vote: Add Gose to Berliner Weiss in August 2016 = PASS
  5. Vote: Add Gose to Berliner Weiss in August 2016 = PASS
  6. Vote: Expand IPA in September 2016 to include Specialty IPA

Key Action Items [person(s),deadline]:

  • [Jeff Butterworth, next meeting]: Jeff B to look for storage options at $60/month
  • [All, March BoD Meeting]: President requests board members to review/edit brewing-scholarship proposal document (use google “edit mode”) before next BoD meeting, and provide suggestions/comments

Minutes:

  1. Approved last month’s minutes
  2. Treasury Update (David Long)
    1. We are now registered for non-profit raffle
  • Activities Update (Tim Dozier)
    1. Educational brewery tour
      1. Proposed 4/3/16 to visit 3-4 breweries complete with a full tour at Ol’Republic and lunch
        1. Transportation provided on SunPower bus
      2. VOTE (see summary above).
    2. Public Relations and Fundraising (Ginny Moreau)
      1. Summary of Roseville Brewing Anniversary Event
        1. Possibly 2-3 new members, advertised general meeting, met with screen printer
      2. Rayley’s Reward Card could earn 1% or purchases for club
        1. Rayley’s may be able to host beer tasting
      3. Cool Beerwerks will donate 5-6 carboys
    3. Vice President (Don Isbell)
      1. Laptop donation – requests $50 to cover the cost of a new hard drive
      2. Commercial suggestions for stout meeting: Old Rasputin, Guinness, Oatmeal Stout, local imperial stout
      3. Brewing calendar discussion
        1. Suggestions for undecided months: English Ales, Hybrid Beers
      4. Suggestion to have Mike score a commercial beer at a general meeting to assist with club judging
    4. Initiatives
      1. Meeting location
        1. Large “back area” is no longer available to Black Vinyl
          1. Next month to be outside at Black Vinyl – may be issue with rain
        2. Suggestions for new locations: Owl club, Boxing Donkey, Rotary Club, Monk’s Cellar
      2. Storage
        1. Jeff B to look for storage options at $60/month
      3. NCHF
        1. Planning Committee: Tim Dozier and David Long with support from the board
        2. Consensus ins a “no” to the idea of brewing on site
      4. Brewing Scholarship
        1. Reviewed feedback
        2. JW asks all to continue to edit and comment.
    1. Suggestion to add link to Facebook page on general PUBS website
    2. Suggestion to add “Contact us” page to webpage
    3. Trying to get brewer from Highwater Brewery to talk about stout and campfire stout in March meeting.
    4. Member feedback: one member has requested more feedback on brewed beer at each meeting.
    5. Idea: Have members to suggest topics to be covered in the next meeting
    6. Discussion of change in prices of membership for 2017
      1. $25 for single member with additional $10 for family
      2. Drop Gold Membership?

Meeting minutes recorded by: Jeff Butterworth

Meeting Minutes - Board of Directors - February 3, 2016

Meeting Minutes: PUBS Board of Directors Meeting 02/04/16 Meeting Start: 6:30pm

Meeting Adjourn: 7:30pm

Present: Jason Williamson, Don Isbell, Tim Dozier, Jeff Jacobs, Chris Mattox, Ginny Moreau, Paul Moreau, Jeff Butterworth, Mike Moore

Last Month’s Minutes: Approved with edits made on 2/5/2016 that are reflective of feedback at the February 2016 BoD Meeting

Summary of Voting Results:

  1. Vote: Approve last month’s BoD meeting minutes with minor edits = PASS
  2. Vote: Allow $300 computer budget = PASS
  3. Vote: Allow $500 projector budget = NO PASS
  4. Vote: Allow $60/month storage budget = PASS
  5. Vote: Allow $120 secure-mailbox budget = PASS
  6. Vote: 2016 Family Camp = NO PASS
  7. Vote: 2016 NCHF = PASS
  8. Vote: Allow $500 in budget for scholarship support = PASS
  9. Vote: Proceed with discovery meeting with CPA or law professional = NO PASS (continue with current accountant until need arises)
  10. Vote: Accept 2016 budget = PASS
  11. Vote: Test email for B.O.D. communication/next 90 days = PASS

Key Action Items [person(s),deadline]:

  • [All, March BoD Meeting]: President requests board members to review/edit brewing-scholarship proposal document (use google “edit mode”) before next BoD meeting, and provide suggestions/comments
  • [All, March BoD Meeting]: President asks BoD members to continue to generate suggestions to add value to club
  • [Chris Mattox, tbd]: Chris to ask Erik at Brewmiester about storage and AHA Learn-to-Brew Day

Minutes:

  1. 2016 Budget Review
    1. Computer: Proposal to purchase a laptop computer for club activities.
      1. Discussion: Consider saving the $300 for this year and combining with $300 for next year to buy a better computer. Don Isbell may have a laptop to donate. Install BeerSmith on any club owned computer. VOTE (see summary above).
    2. Projector/Screen:
      1. Discussion: Current projector was donated by Don Isbell, but does not have HDMI input. There is concern about lack of “modern connections”. Not a pressing need. VOTE (see summary above).
    3. Storage:
      1. Discussion: Items that require storage include booth, sunshade, jockey boxes, façade cornhole game, etc. Possible storage locations include West Sac Beermiester (Chris to inquire) and/or space at Mike Moore’s place. Concern over annual cost of storage. VOTE (see summary above).
    4. Mailbox with Legal Custodian:
      1. Discussion: Vote to approve $120 cost of mailbox. VOTE (see summary above).
    5. Dates for Consideration:
      1. Family Camp:
        1. Discussion: Propose to not organize family camp in 2016 in an effort to emphasize NCHF. Will consider return of family camp in 2016. VOTE (see summary above).
      2. NCHF:
        1. Discussion: Current budget of $500. Proposal to allocate more – not considered needed. Booth may need updating, but $500 should cover it. VOTE (see summary above).
        2. Considering NCHF-specific photo-slideshow for a general meeting to introduce it to those new to NCHF.
      3. AHA Learn-to-Brew Day
        1. Discussion: Consider Monk’s Cellar, Brewmiester, Loomis basin. Chris to inquire about use of Brewmiester space.
      4. Holiday Party
        1. Discussion: Raffle vs. gift exchange. Venue consideration, Boxing Donkey, Monk’s Cellar, etc. Consider date other than 1st Thursday of December. Discussion tabled until later in the year.
  • Brewing Scholarship:
    1. Discussion: President again asks board to review and edit google document (in “edit mode”). There is already $500 in budget to support scholarship, and board voted to approve this -- VOTE (see summary above).
  1. Effort to seek out advice of CPA or Lawyer:
    1. Discussion: Plan to continue with current situation using professional accountant until need for CPA or lawyer. VOTE (see summary above).
  2. Promotion:
    1. Signage -- Discussion: No need for new sign, but Ginny requests extra easel.
    2. Business cards – Discussion: Need re-design without QR code. Proposal to include meeting location and time, but others suggest pointing to the club website would be more accurate. Ginny indicates that probably less than 100 of current cards remain.
  3. Board Communication:
    1. Discussion: Ideas to have board communicate via text, email, Facebook, google hangouts, etc. Interest in having “more immediate” response than email can provide. There is some resistance to additional software and or social-networking/media-like tools. Discussion to try email and text for 90 days. President collects email address and cell phone numbers for all. VOTE (see summary above).

 Meeting minutes recorded by: Jeff Butterworth

Meeting Minutes - Board of Directors - January 7, 2016

Meeting Minutes: PUBS Board of Directors Meeting 01/07/16 Edits made on 2/5/2016 are reflective of feedback at the February 2016 BoD Meeting

Meeting Start: 6:30pm

Meeting Adjourn: __________

Present: Jason Williamson, Don Isbell, Tim Dozier, Jeff Jacobs, David Long, Chris Mattox, Ginny Moreau, Paul (Moreau?), Jeff Butterworth, Mike Moore

Last Month’s Minutes: Not presented

 

Topics Covered:

  1. Welcome to new board members and board members in new positions – persons holding past position commented on challenges and/or reviewed duties/tasks of position
    1. President (David Long)
      1. Prepare for each meeting, organize speakers, acquire equipment (projector, screen, etc.)
      2. Most challenging duty: work for maintain non-profit status
    2. Treasurer (Jeff Jacobs)
      1. Had Jeff monitor cash flow while David covered accounting – should ultimately be one person doing these two duties
      2. Strive for transparency and “squeaky clean” status
    3. Secretary (Tim Dozier)
      1. Take BoD meeting minutes. Type them up and send to President. Print out 5 copies for approval in next month’s meeting.
      2. Coordinate election, retain file-folder with paper records
    4. Membership (Don Isbell)
      1. Keep track of new members, shirt (merchandise) count (order more if needed, 3 or less)
      2. Make and distribute membership cards
    5. Vice President (Jason Williamson)
      1. Responsible for commercial examples for style competition
      2. Support the president in any way possible
    6. Key notes/comments provided in lieu of past board members not present
      1. Ginny Moreau: Requests standard non-profit donation form. Ginny to draw up a draft
    7. By-laws: President requests board members to review club by-laws before next BoD meeting.
  • 2016 Budget
    1. President asks board to review the 2016 budget for next BoD meeting in which a vote will be made to approve the budget
    2. Club Needs
      1. Understanding of projector capabilities
      2. Storage space
    3. Discussion of 2016 Dates
      1. Add Holiday party to list of dates
      2. Motion to not hold “family camp” in 2016
    4. Key Initiatives
      1. Brewing Scholarship: President requests board members to review brewing-scholarship proposal document before next BoD meeting, and provide suggestions/comments
      2. Expand Fundraisers: Motion to hire “501C3 specialist” (tax and/or legal) for consulting purposes
        1. Suggestion to consider “rent a lawyer” options such as “Legal Shield”
      3. Membership Discounts: Intent is to find more ways to add value to club membership.
        1. President asks BoD members to consider suggestions to add value to club membership for next BoD meeting
      4. 2016 Style Schedule: March and February have been swapped such that stouts are in March and lagers are in February.
    5. Note: The above meeting minutes recorded by Jeff Butterworth and the below meeting minutes recorded by Jason Williamson
  • Cellar Master
    1. Group agrees system to determine who shoulders this responsibility needs a little work
      1. Can over burden a club meeting at times if not planned
    2. Board members will be trained on duties
    3. Ask for 6 volunteers from the club
      1. Each volunteer potentially does 2 meetings this year
      2. Amount of volunteers shares the responsibility so no one gets burned out
    4. Should always be two people
      1. One Cellar Master and one person learning to perform duties
  • Stewards
    1. Not as large of an issue as CM
    2. Ask for volunteers
      1. People who have never had the opportunity
    3. Being a steward is very cool
      1. Meet a lot of club members
      2. Learn from listening to multiple different tables
    4. Style Competition
      1. Entry guidelines
        1. Membership necessary – ratified with one opposed BM
        2. A minimum of 48 44 ounces of brew (Corrected details on 2/5/16)
          1. 4 singles Four 12oz singles
          2. 3 Bombers Two 22oz “Bombers”
          3. 1 Growler One “Growler”
        3. Brewer of the Year/Monthly Style Competition – ratified with one opposed, one undecided
          1. 2016 Point System
            1. 1st, 2nd, 3rd place all give points
              1. 12 pts, 6 pts, 3 pts respectively
              2. Total points awarded not nominal
                1. In the case of a tie for one or more placements both parties are awarded full points for placement in addition to full points awarded for other placements (e.g. tie for 2nd place = both brewers receiving 6 pts. each, plus 12 pts. for 1st, and 3 pts. for 3rd)
              3. B.O.T.Y. based on 11 competitions (Jan-Nov)
                1. Includes Brewers Choice
                2. Dec - Holiday Party w/Brewer’s Choice
                  1. scores do not count toward B.O.T.Y.

Meeting minutes recorded by: Jeff Butterworth and Jason Williamson

Key Action Items [person(s),deadline]:

  • [All, Feb. BoD Meeting]: President requests board members to review club by-laws before next BoD meeting.
  • [All, Feb. BoD Meeting]: President asks board to review the 2016 budget for next BoD meeting in which a vote will be made to approve the budget
  • [All, Feb. BoD Meeting]: President requests board members to review brewing-scholarship proposal document before next BoD meeting, and provide suggestions/comments
  • [All, Feb. BoD Meeting]: President asks BoD members to consider suggestions to add value to club membership for next BoD meeting

 

Meeting Minutes - Board of Directors - October 1, 2015

PUBSBoard of Directors Meeting 10/1/2015

Meeting Started: 6:50pm

Present: Dave Long, Tim Dozier, Jeff Jacobs, Don Isbell, Cynthia Lee, Rick Lee, Chris Mattox, Damien Lawrence.

Last Month’s Minutes: Voted to approve unanimously.

Treasury Report: Current Balance is approx. $1880 +$75 for Raffle.

Membership / Merchandising (Don Isbell): We need to print, and have on hand, 50+ membership applications.

Brewer’s Calendar: Calendar to remain as is, except for one change. We voted to switch February 2015 and March 2015, so that Stout would be represented in March and American Lagers would be in February.

Fundraising / Events (Cynthia and Rick Lee): Sacramento’s Brewers went well made some good contacts and we should look to have an even bigger presence next year. Barktoberfest this weekend 11am-4pm. Christmas Party; we are looking to have it at Monks Cellar on the first Thursday in December in place of our monthly BOD meeting, This will take the place of our regular December membership meeting. AHA Learn to brew day November 7th, we will be looking to possibly hosting a brew day at Loomis Basin.

Misc. Items

-Board Nominations: President: Jason Williamson VP: Don Isbell Treasury: Dave Long and Jeff Jacobs Secretary Jeff ____?, PR: Ginny? Activities: Tim Dozier

-NCHF Suggestions for monthly meetings: Entrance table and sign in n(Anne and Husband agreed to host/man the table), Sign outside front door on Easel to point people in right direction.

-2016 Club Budget: Purchase of Off Flavor Kit: revisit next year as purchase for the club.

-PUBS Brewing Competition: Extreme Stout?, Don agreed to coordinate and maybe invite other local clubs to participate.

-Update water profiles on website.

-Upcoming Speakers: Mike Mraz for November

Adjourn: 7:30pm

Meeting Minutes – Board of Directors – September 3, 2015

PUBS

Board of Directors Meeting

9/3/2015

Meeting Started: 6:50pm

Present: Dave Long, Jason Williamson, Tim Dozier, Jeff Jacobs, Don Isbell, Cynthia Lee, Rick Lee, Ginny and Paul, Chris Mattox.

Last Month’s Minutes: Voted to approve unanimously.

Treasury Report: Current Balance is approx.  $1878. There is nothing outstanding.

Membership / Merchandising (Don Isbell): 4 3XL black jerseys have been ordered

Brewer’s Calendar: Calendar to remain as is.

Fundraising / Events (Cynthia and Rick Lee): Sacramento’s Brewers summit 9/11-9/13 at community center. We voted to approve the purchase of 250 brochures for upcoming events through Sir Speedy.  We have a team of PUBS volunteers.  Barktoberfest Sunday October 4th.  20 Breweries, 11am-4pm. We voted to approve $100 for food - unanimous.  NCHF: Chris Mattox has camp site reserved for Thursday night.  JW and Tim will take trailer with façade, black pearl, and jockey boxes for booth.  

Misc. Items

-Board Nominations: Coming up,  announce at next meeting.

-Date of September General membership meeting pushed out one week due to NCHF, remind on social media.

-Off Flavor Kit: revisit next year as purchase for the club.

-Brewing Scholarship: Partner with local breweries to send somebody to UC Davis short brewing program.

-Potential Fundraising opportunities by JW: Craft beer tailgate, football pool square purchase, Large prizes suggested like a TV or tailgate opportunity for upcoming Super Bowl, cont discussion

-Upcoming Speakers: Jim / Kenny from Loomis Basin. Jim / Simon from Old Republic. Mike Mraz?

-Short Brewing Topics: JW Adjusting gravity on the fly, to present next meeting.

Adjourn: 8pm

 

Meeting Minutes – Board of Directors – August 6, 2015

PUBS

Board of Directors Meeting

8/6/2015

Meeting Started: 6:37pm

Present: Dave Long, Jason Williamson, Tim Dozier, Jeff Jacobs, Don Isbell, Cynthia Lee, Rick Lee, Cian, and Big Mike

Last Month’s Minutes: There were no meeting minutes for July.

Treasury Report: Current Balance is approx.  $1600. There is an outstanding check for club insurance which is $203.

Membership / Merchandising (Don Isbell): We are out of 3XL black jerseys. We unanimously voted to approve the purchase of 4 more. We have 40 tasting glasses in inventory.

Brewer’s Calendar: We agreed to add Brewer’s best to June 2016, Saison in July 2016 and Fruit/Vegetable beer in November of 2016. Berlinerweisse was added for August 2016.

Fundraising / Events (Cynthia and Rick Lee): Stars n Suds, Revisit planning and event structure for next year.  Sacramento’s Brewers summit 9/11-9/13 at community center. We have a team of PUBS volunteers.  Barktoberfest Sunday October 4th.  20 Breweries, 11am-4pm. Learn to Brew day 11/7, we should plan a brew day, TBD.

Misc. Items

-Meet-up: Dave is administrator, he will show JW how to navigate and make changes.

-Christmas party: Monks? TBD

-Club Ins: 58 members $203, voted unanimously to approve.

-Short Brewing topics: JW to present on mash efficiency at this months meeting.

-Water test kit: Board has voted to approve this purchase. We will offer to sell tests of local water supplies to help defer cost of kit.

-Upcoming Speakers: No guest speaker for this month.

-Educational Materials: Don brought a full color club brochure, we agreed to get a quote on printing   500.

Adjourn: 7:30

 

Meeting Minutes - Board of Directors - June 4, 2015

PUBSBoard of Directors Meeting 6/4/2015 Meeting Started: 6:37pm Present: Dave Long, Tim Dozier, Jeff Jacobs, Don Isbell, Cynthia Lee, Rick Lee, Cian, Sarah, Becky and Big Mike

Last Month’s Minutes: We voted to approve the minutes as is.

Treasury Report: Current Balance is approx. $3,360. Approximately $1,100 is deposits for Stars and Suds event.

Membership / Merchandising (Don Isbell): 2 new members at May meeting. We are low on shirts and have approved to order 5 Medium. 5 Large, and 5 XL black jerseys. We also approved to purchase more of the 3oz taster cups through Amazon, Tim.

Brewer’s Calendar: To remain as is, except for May of 2016 add Wheat beers to calendar, 40+% wheat required.

Fundraising / Events (Cynthia and Rick Lee): Barktoberfest Sunday October 4th. 26 Breweries invited, will have sign up sheet for volunteers as date approaches and numbers are known. Placer County fair would like us to set up a booth including our façade from NCHF.

Misc. Items -Educational materials: needed for booth and all public events. -Stars and Suds: 57 RSVPs, still trying to get an invoice for club deposit of $950. Cost is $100 to camp, $25 goes to club. -AHA Learn to brew day: 11/7/15. -Short Brewing Topics: 15 minute presentations of various brewing topics to be presented at monthly general membership meetings for education purposes. -Water test kit: Board has voted to approve this purchase. We will offer to sell tests of local water supplies to help defer cost of kit. -Upcoming Speakers: Jeremy from Knee Deep. Sarah has agreed to do a presentation on fermentation control demonstrating her new system. -Big Mike: Needs judges for upcoming State Fair judging…put the word out.

Meeting Minutes - Board of Directors - April 9, 2015

PUBSBoard of Directors Meeting 4/9/2015 Meeting Started: 6:33pm Present: Dave Long, Tim Dozier, Jeff Jacobs, Don Isbell, Cynthia and Rick Lee

Last Month’s Minutes: We voted to approve the minutes as is.

Treasury Report: Current Balance is approx. $2,373. Dave has established a tracking system using excel spreadsheet for club income and expenses. We discussed the use of a Triplicate Reciept Book to track donations. Jeff will look into purchase.

Membership / Merchandising (Don Isbell): 40 Members to date for 2015. Shirt Inventory: Don has full accounting and will post in Google Docs. We are nearly out of Black Jerseys.

Brewer’s Calendar: To remain as is. Pepper beer to be added perhaps for April 2016 or later. Beer Judging score sheet, ‘short form’ created by Tim Dozier, for style of the month will be implemented at this meeting. Each brewer will take home a score sheet from each table. Scores will continue to be averaged and monitored for abnormalities. We would like to continue to have Big Mike score a commercial beer with the club to continue that educational process.

Fundraising / Events (Cynthia and Rick Lee): AHA Big Brew Day 5/2. Barktoberfest Sunday October 4th Stars and Suds August 7th-9th, we are at 42 and need 50. NCHF – Tim Dozier has volunteered to help coordinate PUBS presence at this year’s event. Stickers, we got 50 for $64.10. One sticker and one glass for gold memberships. Payment of deposit for “stars and suds” $800, need receipts for reimbursement.

Misc. Items: -Big Mike to present the history of Kolsch, YES. -Meeting location: Remains at Boneshakers, we may be moving outdoors soon. -State Fair Homebrew Competition: Deadlines approaching for registration. -SMASH Beer guidelines: Single malt, Single hop, Single yeast…and at end announce what ingredients were in top three beers. -Mission Statement: Will be readdressed at future BOD meeting, needs revising/rewording. -Guest Speakers: Jeremy Warren for IIPA’s in October ? Mike Mraz for Sour beer month ?, Dragas ?, Mitch Steele ?

End: 8:30pm

Meeting Minutes - Board of Directors - March 5, 2015

PUBS Board of Directors Meeting 3/5/2015 Meeting Started: 6:45pm Present: Dave Long, Dagan Henderson, Tim Dozier, Jeff Jacobs, Don Isbell, Cynthia and Rick Lee, Brenda Mench, and Jason Williamson

Last Month’s Minutes: We voted to approve the minutes as is.

Treasury Report: Current Balance is approx. $2,000.

Information has been submitted for filing with accountant Frank Messina, there are still a couple of questions outstanding, but it is getting close to being completed.

Membership / Merchandising (Don Isbell): Membership total at 40. Shirts: number of shirts is getting low. We still have 5 black jerseys, no shirt order at this time. Brewer’s Calendar (Dagan Henderson): March: Ciders/Meads, April: Kolsch, May: Bock, June: SMASH Beers, July: European Pilsners.

Fundraising / Events (Cynthia and Rick Lee): NHC volunteers needed for stewarding. Barktoberfest Sunday October 4th PUBS will help to coordinate and run beer garden area and earn a small split for their efforts. National Homebrew day is May 2nd. Stars and Suds August 7th-9th.

Misc. Items: -Guest Speakers: David Teckam will speak at this month’s meeting on Meads and Ciders. -Presidential beer presentation by Don and Cian to be done at this month’s meeting. -Club insurance: will be purchased based upon this month’s membership. -Pubs stickers to be printed. This item has been approved at prior meetings. -Club brew days: Jeff Jacobs to host a brew day at his house on 6/6/15. JW would like to get in line to host, day to be determined. - Club expenses: Dagan has raised concerns about how the club is spending its money and how it is keeping track of these expenses. It has been agreed upon that we need to establish a spending policy for club expenses. We also need to put together a spreadsheet in excel to track donated inventory coming into the club and going out for raffles. -Taxes: nearly complete, waiting on a couple of questions from the accountant. -Big Mike: Will not speak this month, but will speak next month on Kolsch. -Score sheets for monthly style competition: It was discussed that we would attempt to simplify the score sheet for our monthly competition into a short form with hand written notes/suggestions and scores that the brewers will get to take home. Tim has volunteered to put together a preliminary sheet to be used at upcoming meetings/competitions.

Adjourned: 8:00pm

Meeting Minutes - Board of Directors - February 5, 2015

PUBSBoard of Directors Meeting 2/5/2015 Meeting Started: 6:40pm Present: Dave Long, Dagan Henderson, Tim Dozier, Don Isbell, Cynthia and Rick Lee.

Last Month’s Minutes: We voted to approve the minutes with one change which was a typo in the type of filing which has SFO.

Treasury Report (Jeff Jacobs not present): Current Balance is approx. $2,739.98. There are two outstanding checks, one of which is for the jockey box $748.92 and the other is for raffle expenses.

Information has been submitted for filing with accountant Frank Messina, there are still a couple of questions outstanding, but it is getting close to being completed.

Membership / Merchandising (Don Isbell): 16 Memberships, 10 gold memberships, 5 family memberships. Membership total at 40 according to Don.

Shirts: number of shirts is getting low. We still have 5 black jerseys, no shirt order at this time.

Brewer’s Calendar (Dave Long): - January 2016 Wood aged beers. - February 2016 Stout.

Fundraising / Events (Cynthia Lee): - NHC beer registration is now. - NHC registration to attend is also now. - Barktoberfest Sunday October 4th. - National Homebrew day is May 2nd. - Stars and Suds August 7th-9th. - Capital City Brew fest during Sac beer week. - 21st Amendment Brewers battle 3/1. - Learn to Homebrew day 11/7. - Monks collaborative brew day 2/7. - Beersmith follow-up class? - Monthly brew day to be scheduled.

Misc. Items - Big Mike: will speak at this month’s meeting on Wee Heavy. - Presidential beer presentation by Don and Cian, no Don at this month’s general membership meeting, Cian may be able to do presentation without Don. - A member has offered to donate keychain breathalyzers to the club as a raffle item. The Board has decided that this donation item will not be accepted because these types of testing gadgets cannot be deemed accurate or appropriate. - Conflict of Interest Forms Signed – Yes - Club insurance: will be purchased next month based upon current membership. - Club brew days: Rick and Cynthia to host this month. JW would like to get in line to host, day to be determined. - Jockey boxes: Have been purchased, Rick will finish out the construction. - Taxes: nearly complete, waiting on a couple of questions from the accountant. - Big Mike: Sac beer week presentations 3/2 beer history, 5 course dinner at OOB on ¾, $45/person. - Dave: potential to have a welder speak at an upcoming meeting. - Dagan: outreach to other local homebrew clubs to collaborate on events and possibly quarterly meetings.

Adjourned: 7:30pm

Meeting Minutes – Board of Directors – January 8, 2015

PUBSBoard of Directors Meeting 1/8/2015 Meeting Started: 6:40pm Present: Dave Long, Dagan Henderson, Jeff Jacobs, Tim Dozier, Don Isbell, Cynthia and Rick Lee.

Last Month’s Minutes: There are no minutes to approve from the December Board meeting because there was no official meeting because we held our PUBS Christmas party on the first Thursday of the month at Monks Cellar.

Treasury Report (Jeff Jacobs): Current Balance is approx. $2,930.00. Our balance has risen with an influx of membership dues over the past two meetings (Nov/Dec).

Membership / Merchandising (Don Isbell): 2015 memberships paid in Nov and Dec is 28. Membership cards to be provided at next week’s general membership meeting. Club t-shirts are running low with limited size availability; it is time to discuss another run. We will put together an order and submit to our usual vendor and get another bid for comparison. Website needs updates to include the addition of winning recipes if brewers are willing to share. We will continue to increase our use of Google Documents online to keep track of our membership list and other club documents. Don to do a tutorial at our next meeting.

Brewer’s Calendar (Dave Long): January: Smoked Beers, February: Strong Scotch Ales, March: Ciders/Meads, April: Kolsch, May: Bock, June: European Pilsners, July: SMASH Beers, August: Session IPAs, September: American Pale Ales, October: IIPAs, November: Sours, December: Brewer’s Best It was proposed by Billy that we establish a calendar that would give lead time to brewers as to when they should brew a beer for the upcoming monthly styles. In general for the upcoming year the following lead times were determined: -One Month: Ciders, Smash, Session IPAs, American Pale Ale -6 Weeks: IIPA -Two Months: Kolsch, Bocks, European Pilsners, -Eight to twelve months: Meads and Sours

Fundraising / Events (Cynthia Lee): The Art of Beer January 30th. There has been an offer and the Board has agreed to purchase 10 VIP tickets to the event at a discount and provide them to club members on a first come first serve basis. Winterfest: January 16th. We were asked to participate by providing homebrew and pouring at this event. We have decided to decline due to time constraints. Misc. Items

-  Beersmith Class: Cynthia requested another Beersmith Class be put on for club members. It was decided another class would be done, date to be determined. -  Brew Day Calendar: Club brew days for the coming year need to increase. We discussed setting up a calendar on Meet up. Jeff has volunteered to have a brew day in early June. Rick and Cynthia agreed to host a brew day in January. We are always looking for willing hosts for these events. -  Guest Speakers / Big Mike: We are not sure if Mike will be speaking on the history of smoked beers this month. Don and Cian are prepared to speak in February on the President’s Beers. -  Conflict of Interest for was signed by all Board Members. These forms will be held by the Secretary, Tim Dozier. -  Club Insurance (Dave Long): Open enrollment is in March, we had voted in December to approve this expense. Most venues will require us to carry our own insurance to hold meetings or events on their property. -  Meeting Location: Boneshakers has agreed to continue to host our meetings on the Third Thursday of each month. -  Club Stickers (Cynthia Lee): We had agreed to purchase stickers for the club at the last meeting. Artwork and vendor still needed to be approved. -  Jockey Box (Dave Long): We had agreed to move forward with the purchase of a Jockey Box at our last Board Meeting. Dave was continuing with research and we agreed to purchase (2) 2-tap boxes at a total cost of approx. $600. -  Monthly Commercial Beers (Dagan Henderson): Dagan has agreed to bring commercial varieties of our monthly beer styles. We will use Boneshakers as a commercial variety whenever possible. Dagan will bring approx 3 commercial varieties, ice, and ice chest to monthly meetings. -  Taxes (Jeff Jacobs): Accountant Frank Messina needed additional information regarding our raffles; progress is being made toward filing the clubs taxes. -  California Corporate (Dagan Henderson): Needs to fine CFO form with annual $20 filing fee. -  PO Box (Dagan Henderson): Provided by Dagan over the past year has not been renewed.

Meeting Adjourned: 8:40pm

Meeting Minutes – Board of Directors – November 6, 2014

PUBS

Board of Directors Meeting Minutes Date: 11-6-14 Location: Out of Bounds Brewing Co. Attendees: Rick Lee, Don Isbell, Dagan Henderson, David Long, Tim Dozier, Big Mike, Jeff Jacobs, Cian Boland, Brenda Mench and Daughter, Chris Mattox

Tim call the meeting to order at 6:33PM.

- 10/2/14 meeting minutes were approved with the understanding that the Brewing Calendar was incorrect. David Long publish the corrected minutes prior to publish them to the web site.

Treasures Report:

  • Jeff reported that the club has $2134.00 in the checking account.
  • Jeff will be contacting Frank Massina Jr. CPA who will be filing the appropriate form to get the ball rolling with the clubs 501c3 status.
  • Jeff will also be researching the requirements to obtain a resale license.
  • David submitted a proposed budget for 2015. Questions were brought up concerning a few of the line items. These line items will be adjusted. A special meeting will be held next Thursday to follow-up on this topic as well as the insurance issue mention below.
  • Cynthia requested that a club jockey box be added to the budget.

Membership Report

  • Don asked if we should start collecting 2015 membership dues at the November and December meetings. The directors all agreed that he should start.
  • Don also asked if we should raise the membership fees to $30 since the club is considering purchasing AHA Homebrew Club Insurance for it’s membership at $3.50/year annually. Quite a lively discussion took place concerning insurance question, with Dagan arguing against purchasing insurance. No decision was made at the time, but will be discussed at the special meeting mentioned above. In addition, David suggested that we should not raise the membership fees without a budget in place.

Vice Presidents Report

  • David reviewed the Brewing calendar with the board members. A few adjustments will be made to the calendar. Most notably, Sour beers where added to the November 2015 competition. 

Brewing Calendar for 2014/2015:

November 2014 Spice, Herb, or Vegetable
December 2014 Brewers Best (any style)
January 2015 Smoked Beers
February 2015 Strong Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy
March 2015 Cider/Mead
April 2015 Kolsch
May 2015 Bock
June 2015 SMASH Beer
July 2015 European Pilsner
August 2015 Session IPA
September 2015 English Brown
October 2015 Double IPA
November 2015 Sours
December 2015 Brewer’s Best (Any style)
  • Rick and Cynthia had concerns with the judging-some groups are scoring some beers unreasonably low, while others are scoring same beer very high. They felt that more beer judging education would result in closer scoring. The idea was put forward to have a BJCP judge actually score a commercial beer and discuss the beer’s qualities/flaws ahead of the completion. The Directors generally agreed on this, so look for this in upcoming meetings! The Directors also felt that the judging tables/groups should be mixed up so that the same members are not judging together all the time.

Fundraising

  • Cynthia will look into “Store Reward” cards once we formally are granted our 501c3. David also mention that we could add AHA Membership and BYO Magazine subscription links to our web site to raise additional funds.
  • Cynthia report that Boneshaker will not have the additional room ready for us for our general membership meetings. This will put us in a bind for future meetings unless we change the meeting nights to Monday or Tuesday.
  • Cynthia reported that Monk’s Cellar will be hosting our annual Christmas Party this year. They are also willing to host our monthly general meeting, but they informed us that they had to check on a few things first. Stay tuned.

Club Activities:

-10/26/14 – Don and Dagan had Educational Brew Day on 10/26/14. Several PUBS members attended it. The brew of the day was an Irish Red, and Dagan reported that they hit their original gravity spot on.

- David Long is having an Educational Brew Day on Black Friday (11/28/14). More information will be posted on the PUBS website soon.

Misc.

  • Cian Boland advised us that he volunteered to serve beer at the California Craft Brewers Association in Santa Rosa. This event was well attended by renowned breweries from all over California include Stone and Russian River. Sacramento area was well represented with several local breweries attending. Cian said the CCBA will be looking for volunteers, and possibly a Homebrewing demonstration for a future conference in Sacramento.
  • Don shared a message he received from Katelin MacAfee-Johnston Assistant Producer of Auburn Events. They are starting the NorCal Recreation & Leisure Living Show in May at the Auburn Fairgrounds. She asked if the club would be interested in organizing a homebrew competition that would coincide with the show. This might be difficult for the club since it may be heavily involved with the Placer County Fair around that time. However, personnel changes at the fairgrounds in Roseville might mean that there won’t be a homebrew completion at the Placer County Fair this year. If this is the case, the club will probably participate at the Auburn show.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:00 pm.

David Long PUBS Vice President