P. U. B. S. Board of Directors Meeting Minutes 5/2/2013
Location: Final Gravity
Next Board Meeting: June 6th @ 6:30 PM – Location: TBD
Next General Meeting: May 16 @ 6:30 – Location: Owl Club
Attendees: Mark Law, Tim Dozier, Don Isbell, Josh Denton, Rick and Cynthia Lee, Dagan Henderson, Hardiman Cureton II, Mike Moore, Chris Kuhn, Nikki, Steve and Jenny Dalberg, Jeff Jacobs and David Long
Mark Law called the meeting to order at approximately 6:40 PM.
501 (c) 3 Status: Mark Schindler reported that the club is now officially incorporated. Paperwork for the 501 (c) (3) will be filed next.
Treasurer’s Report: David reported that the shade structure and two fold up tables have been received. These items will be used for future PUBS events. Don reported that he attempted to file state taxes for the club, but ran into difficulty with our Tax ID number. After discussing the issue with the Franchise Tax Board, and based on input from the FTB representative, the club will be filing this summer instead.
Name Tags: (Was not discussed at this meeting) The use of nametags was again brought up to help persuade people attending the meetings to join the club. Paid members would get a “PUBS” nametag and guests would get a “Guest” nametag. Don Isbell will design the nametags.
Club Competition Brewing Schedule: The Board added August – February beer styles.
May – Altbeir, Weizens and Kolsch
June – Belgian Ales
July – ESB and Bitters, Brown Ales and Milds
August – American Ales (Pale, Amber and Brown Ales)
September – IPA (English, American and Imperial IPAs)
October – European Amber Lager (Vienna Lager, Oktoberfest/Marzen)
November – Freestyle (Enter anything you want!)
December – Spiced and Specialty Beers
January – Strong Ales and Barleywines
February – Porters and Stouts
• May – None Scheduled for this meeting
• Big Mike will be sharing his Albeir, Weizen and Kilsch knowledge with us.
• Dave Long will discuss entering beer into competitions
• In the coming months we will have speakers from Loomis Basin Brewing Company and American River Brewery (July?).
• Brewer Equipment Swap and Sale – This event was held on the 27th of April at the Roseville Brewing Company. Some sales were made, and it seemed like a good time was had by all. Next year we will advertise more and sooner for the event in order to get the attendance up.
• The club had a brew day in support of the American Homebrewers Big Brew Day – May 4th, but we actually brewed on the 5th. Steve Dalberg was gracious to offer up his home as a gathering point for this great event. Six brewers, and several guests joined in and produced approximately 45 gallons of brew. I’m looking forward to sampling some of the brews at upcoming club competitions.
• Starz and Sudz – PUBS 1st Annual Beer Camp – June 28th – 30th. This is going to be a fun event, and we are hope for a great turnout. Details can be found at our website – PlacerBrewer.org. We still need people to signup to meet our minimum number.
• PUBSfecta Beer Tour (Lagunitas, Russian River and Bear Republic) – Cost will be approximately $1000 for 15 people. A bus is not available until July, so it will be awhile before we can plan this trip. Chris mentioned that he works with a limousine company that may be able to provide a bus, and will look into pricing. Big Mike also mentioned that we might want to stick local. He suggested a tour of Old Republic, 5 Mile House, Knee Deep and/or the Auburn Ale House.
Recipe Site: Dave pointed out that nobody has submitted his or her winning recipes to the PUBS recipe site. We have members asking for recipes.
PUBS Pod Cast: Dagan and Big Mike created and published the club’s second podcast! The topic is Pilsners. The Pod Cast can be found at the following link:
There is definitely a noticeable improvement with this podcast. Great job guys!
Ways to Improve Future Meetings. The board and attending club membership discussed why to improve future meetings. Several ideas were brought up including:
• How to brew better beer – Question and Answer segment. One of the club’s goal is to improve your brewing, so the idea of a question box for brewing questions for member who do not feel comfortable asking questions in front of the whole club. The Board will incorporate a 15 – 30 minute meeting segment to focus on this. Of course, you’ll always be able to ask question live, or via our home page.
• Commercial Examples – Big Mike will work with the Owl Club
• A secret ingredient brewing competition. It was suggested that individuals and/or teams brew up a batch of beer using a secret ingredient, which may be determined in a random drawing. Best beer wins.
• Parameter based brewing competition. It was also suggested that we could have a competition based on beer brewed to “specifications”. Beer would be style independent. For example, member would have to brew a beer that had a specific gravity of 1.040 to 1.050, SRM of 10 – 15, IBU of 30 – 40. Brewers could use any grains, yeast and hops that they want. Best beer wins.
• Have a discussion on how to brew the styles of the month. Share Tips and Tricks with the group. Maybe handout a flyer that explains the styles.
The meeting was brought to a close at approximately 9:15.
David Long (email@example.com)