P. U. B. S. Board of Directors Meeting Minutes 7/11/2013
Location: Whole Foods, Roseville
Next Board Meeting: August 1st @ 6:30 PM – Location: Whole Foods, Roseville
Next General Meeting: August 15th @ 6:30 – Location: Owl Club
Attendees: Mark Law, Tim Dozier, Don Isbell, Josh Denton, Rick and Cynthia Lee, Chris Kuhn, Nikki McCargar and David Long
Mark Law called the meeting to order at approximately 6:40 PM.
Treasurer’s Report: Don reported that our funds are remaining fairly level, but is worried that some upcoming expenses might deplete most of those. He suggested raising annual fees to $50 from $25, but the majority of the board thought is would be better to take a wait-and-see approach since we have dues coming due at the end of the year and most of our big “planned” expenses (i.e., 501 (c) 3 filing) already in budgeted.
Name Tags: Don Isbell designed, printed and laminated new nametag of paid PUBS members. Name tag will be distributed at the next general meeting.
Club Competition Brewing Schedule: The Board added August – February beer styles. August – American Ales (Pale, Amber and Brown Ales) September – IPA (English, American and Imperial IPAs) October – European Amber Lager (Vienna Lager, Oktoberfest/Marzen) November – Freestyle (Enter anything you want!) December – Spiced and Specialty Beers January – Strong Ales and Barleywines February – Porters and Stouts
- In the coming months we will have speakers from American River Brewery (July), Out-Of-Bounds and Kneep Deep.
- Pursuing Charlie Bamforth, Jamil Zainasheff and Tasty McDole as a guest speakers.
- Hot Summer Ale Competition. This is an invitational team competition for the best brewed pale ale. All team will us the same grain bill, but are free to us other ingredients they want – yeast, hops, water additions and adjuncts. The beer will be judged August 23rd with the winners announced at Loomis Basin Brewing on the 24th. Entries will be judged using the BJCP American Pale Ale guideline. There will also be awards given for the best team theme.
- The Starz and Sudz Beer Camp was a resounding success. All who went had a great time and are looking forward to next year. Since the event was the weekend before the 4th of July a lot of members couldn’t make it, so next year we try to pick a date that more members can attend.
- Brew at Lockdown Brewery Rancho Cordova August 11th: This is a team competition (teams form 2 – 6 members) The winners will have their beer brewed by Lockdown!
- Blues and Brews Competition - Bring in your beer August 17th to Colusa Casino and be part of their Blues and Brews homebrew competition. 3 Categories - Porter, IPA, or German Wheat & Rye. Here’s a link for more info: http://www.colusacasino.com/promotions/
- Some other ideas being thrown around: BeerSmith Class, Food/Beer Pair Party, Bike Dog bike ride, Der Bier Garden visit, and a Do-it-yourself seminar (Sac Beer Week).
Recipe Site: Monthly Club Competition winners please remember to submit your recipes to David Long (firstname.lastname@example.org), so that he can post them to our recipe site. BeerSmith form preferred, but other formats are ok too.
PUBS Pod Cast: Belgian and English Ale pod casts will be available soon!
August 15th Meeting: Bring Your Favorite Brewing Gadget Night. Brewers are encouraged to share with the group at least one of their favorite brewing gadgets-so bring your favorite brewing do-hickey and show it off to the rest of us! Steve Webber from Inspired Brewing Technologies, LLC will also be at the meeting to demonstrate his new line of lost cost fermenters. These are awesome units so don’t miss it. American Pale Ale will be the style of the month. Looking forward to judging several great beers!
The meeting was brought to a close at approximately 9:00.
Cheers, David Long (email@example.com) PUBS Secretary